Carb seat o-rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb seat o-rings

Hey guys I posted up about this before, and y'all told me to go to napa or parts store for the seat o-rings. I got them at napa, and the rings they gave me are too "fat" to seat the seats if you can imagine what im trying to say lol. Napa doesn't have the correct size, and neither does any other parts store around me. I need to order them, but I cannot for the life of me find out what size they are or a site that is selling them application specific for these carbs. Can somebody give me a link? I would appreciate it very much, as someone said bike bandit has them but I cant find it on their site either.

Also, the one screen on one of the seats got sort of squished , but i was able to put a thin rod down in there and give it somewhat of its shape back, but not perfectly domed like the others are. Should I order a whole new seat to remedy that? Or do y'all think it'll be OK the way it is? It is free and clear of all grit and grime.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help!
    2007 Yamaha r6
    81SH

Believe it or not, go to Harbor Freight. They have both Viton and Nitrile o-ring kits for about $3 - maybe $10. This kit will have all kinds of sizes of o-rings. And one size is perfect for those seats. Used them myself on a recent carb rebuild. Thanks to other members here for sharing this with me...just passing on good info.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Bike Bandit P/N 1258090, part #60 on the fiche. You shouldn't have to replace that net/screen if you straightened it out, it should be fine.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...8246#sch222288
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Don't know why I didn't think of good ol Harbor Freight!! I will go there tomorrow and check it out, there is one 2 min from my house. I was just hitting the parts stores. Thanks for the suggestion
        2007 Yamaha r6
        81SH

Comment

If you put inline filters to the carbs the screens can just go away. Useless.

If no inlines used, JMO Not wise and not so smart.
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
            If you put inline filters to the carbs the screens can just go away.
            Can and Should are two different words for a reason. When it comes to keeping crap out of those float valves, every line of defense you can have is worth while having. They cause no problems being there, and they have a potential to keep problems away. Leaking floats no matter the cause is always a PITA. Another opinion is all.

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Curious thought. Filter vs screen .Which is better or which is useless behind the other. Or is a screen alone just fine? Or useful in any way behind a filter? Maybe if things that pass thru a filter grow real fast to get caught by a screen. Maybe they can. Scary

So is someone not recommending or not strongly proposing inline filters?
              79SF
              XJ11
              78E

Comment

Since this silly thread will attract undue views because of the last 2 post I will add this. Since I discovered Yamaha Carb Cleaner vs Gunk or Berryman, I would never pull O-ring float seats unless they are already leaking. Been there Done that. Waste of time and money. Anyone who has used that method with poor results feel free to speak. Of course all the usual suspects probably will too.
                79SF
                XJ11
                78E

Comment

The o rings that I bought at NAPA were a bit too fat too. i smeared a little oil on them and psuhed them in with the handle of a screwdriver. Took some pressure (not excessive) but they popped in and are a very tight fit. They won't be leaking with a fit like that.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
                    Curious thought. Filter vs screen .Which is better or which is useless behind the other. Or is a screen alone just fine? Or useful in any way behind a filter? Maybe if things that pass thru a filter grow real fast to get caught by a screen. Maybe they can. Scary

So is someone not recommending or not strongly proposing inline filters?
                    Never used an inline filter on mine, never had my carb leak, not one time. If your tank is clean and rust free and the filters in the tank are in good condition filters won't hurt anything but are not necessary. If you have crud in your tank, or if the filter towers are not in perfect condition, then inline filters are not only highly recommended, but vital. My personal opinion? If I couldn't get a clean enough tank I would run inline filters (I have them on my XS400, as I couldn't find a tank clean enough for me to be comfortable with), but my tank just shows a hint of light freckling of rust on the inside, is very clean. I got rid of the original tank cause it was NOT clean on the inside and it ain't ever going back on because of that. Not going to line it, not going to try and patch it either. If I can find another that's good enough I'll paint it if I can, otherwise I'll take the bike off the road for a week or so while I repaint the tank again (and not drop it in the parking lot with a full tank while the paint is not fully hardened yet this time). Then I'll use that rattle can two part once the lacquer finished curing to protect the finish.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I have to agree that the bitty screens are junk EXECPT that the material that I found on a couple of them appeared to be rubber shards. I think that if you replace the fuel lines occasionally, (be careful with the carb Tees) then the inline filters are the best. It is so hare to clean the bitty screens, they are a bad idea by the maker.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

For the record I will say I never sadi NOT to use the inline filters. Only that removing the screens has no real benefit, so why pull out a safety with no draw back.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

I went to harbor freight and got the nitrile o-ring kit which contained the perfect size and the carbs are now put back together finally! Thanks for the suggestion
                          2007 Yamaha r6
                          81SH

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                            For the record I will say I never sadi NOT to use the inline filters. Only that removing the screens has no real benefit, so why pull out a safety with no draw back.
                            I was the one that said I have never used inline filters on my 11, and never had the carbs leak ever (now their going to piss all over the garage floor to get even with me for saying that.) I do have a filter on my 400, but the filter tower in the tank is torn in it, and the screens in the needle valve seats got lost while rebuilding the carbs and the tank is NOT clean, so it's needed. However, the screens are in perfect shape on the 11, the tank is clean, I use that nice single wall stuff from home depot from the lawn mower section that works so well and it's given me no problem.

Now I make conditions on if I say if they are needed. If everything in the system is almost perfect, I say you don't need inline filters, but if anything in the line is not (rusty tank, in tank filters with holes or tears or that are loose, or using double wall automotive gas line) then inline filters are IMHO required. If you find yourself having trouble with leaking carbs, you need inline filters, if you don't, then your not needing to bother, the proof is in how the system behaves is it not?
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                            X