New mystery on my XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mystery on my XJ1100

Ok, so here's another mystery ailment on my XJ1100. My brake light (Warning Lcd) stays lit. Check sensors & float on both M/C, both (sensors & float))good, brake fluid filled, brakes in good shape. Now the mystery, when I hit my "High Beam" switch to high beams it (BRK Lcd warning) goes out?? When I go back to low beams, it (BRK Lcd warning)comes back on. Any clues, my XJ/XS guru friends?? Thanks..

"Boy, I got visions, the rest of the world wears bi-focals!"
    1982 XJ1100 Maxim
    http://s1013.photobucket.com/albums/...maha%20XJ1100/

Any ideas, anyone??

Only I would come up with something no one else has experienced?? Any input as to where I should even start to look. I have an extra LCD assembly I got of ebay, didn't wanna swap, cause mine was in better looking condition.. may swap over just to see what I get.

1982 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

Does the high beam indicator light come on when the high beam is lit? If not I would guess that the brake light indicator is actually the high beam indicator but reverse wired so it goes out in stead of on when the high beam is switched on. Check the block connectors for proper connection. Your going to need a wring diagram. I'm sure someone on the forum has one.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I don't know much about XJs, but is there a chance that warning light is multi-function? It may also indicate a burned-out headlight, so I'd check the headlight lamp to see if both filaments are good. If you have the same 'reserve lighting unit' as the XS, it will lower the output on the high beam if low is bad, and you may never notice the difference (except for the warning light )...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          I don't know much about XJs, but is there a chance that warning light is multi-function?
          i was vaguely remembering the same thing,
          maybe if the brake light wasnt working or doesnt the xj
          have a battery fluid level sensor that could activate
          the warning light?
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I had the same problem with my XJ and found it to be in the level sensor in the front master cylinder. I bypassed it and just jumped the wire in the headlight that went to the cluster and grounded it. The level of the fluid is easy to see so I feel it really isn't needed.
            82 XJ1100
            77 KZ1000
            84 VT700

Comment

Ok, so here what was the problem...

After taking my fairing off and going through a bee's nest of wiring left by PO, looking at the master cylinder sensor wires, they had the ground hooked up to the high beam (headlight) instead of to a ground!! I dug around and found the correct connections all fine now. Tidy up all the connections, used some shrink wrap and buttoned her all back up. Now all I gotta do is put fairing back on and wait for some good spring weather up here in NE Ohio! Thanks for the input guys, gave me a few ideas of how to narrow this gremlin down.

1982 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

Working...
              X