xs recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gringo View Post
    Yeah, I am definitely not looking for a touring bike. If I got a bike with all the fenders etc on it I would sell them. I don't know how this is favored on this forum with you guys but I am wanting to bobber it out. I've always been a crotch rocket guy so I want something with a bigger engine than a 650 preferably. So they suck to bobber them out if it would be an '81 huh?
    Hi Gringo,
    the price ain't unreasonable and perhaps he'd take less if you waved the cash under his nose?
    About the bobbing, here's my favorite rant:-
    Why stop at a hardtail? Go all the way! Stretch out the forks, remove the front brake and the fenders, fit a teensy little gas tank with the Stars and Stripes painted on it, smoke up some dope and pretend you are Peter Fonda."
    However, it's your bike, do what you like to it.
    My advice though is save all the parts you take off and don't cut off anything that will stop you from putting them back on if you re-sell.
    A bike that's restored back to normal will sell for lots more than the same bike that's bobbed.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Bobber projects all depend on the depth your looking to go. You can search her on XS11.com and fnd more than a few that have been done and the different looks you can go for. Depending how heavily you plan to mod it, what it starts as is of no consequence.

Now, many of us prefer to see abike that is in good condition left stock, after al, there are so many "basket" cases that the original parts are so bent and corroded they are past saving, so why not cut and mod that beast up.

But, reality is, if you buy it, it is yours and your money spent or to be spent. you worked just as hard for yours as I worked for mine, so do it your way!!
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

I agree with others, its hard to see a good condition bike get hacked up. Also considering probably 90% of the people that start a bobber/cafe project get just past the point of no return and then get board with it or run out of money and sell it off as a half done POS project. But like they said it is your bike. Just remember, the bobber bikes that look good and are done well are not cheap or quick to do.

That being said, when going to look at the bike keep in mind that those 2 gears if you were to go and buy them would cost you something like 200-250 bucks...and that is what I call a bargaining chip.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I don't want to hard tail it. I ride way too much to have to avoid bumps and stuff all the time. I like the look of the hard tails but want a soft tail. So I am wanting to make it a monoshock. Not looking to go the typical bobber per say but when I do it I will do it right. All my welds will be bondo filled and very professional looking. Its a project that takes time. But I like the look.

Comment

Take a look at the bike, see what it is. Check the Vin to verify what it is. If it happens the pictures are not as clear as some think and it IS an 81 Venturer, or perhaps it is a really nice bike just dusty, then perhaps fix it up nice and sell it for funds to buy a less pristine one to chop up and make your bobber.

lots of choices, and they are all yours to make.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Working...
            X