81 special sloted rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 special sloted rotors

Tried to put 81 special sloted rotors on a 78 standard wheel, wont work they are thiner than the 78 standard, would not line up right with the calipers, has any one done this, can you shim the rotors out with washers ?
    1979 xs1100 f
    142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
    floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
    1978 gl 1000 goldwing
    1981 gl 1100 goldwing
    !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
    when ya get bucked off, get back on

Originally posted by cowboybob998 View Post
    Tried to put 81 special sloted rotors on a 78 standard wheel, wont work they are thiner than the 78 standard, would not line up right with the calipers, has any one done this, can you shim the rotors out with washers ?
    Are you kidding me? Dammit! I have some of the gold painted slotted rotors in storage for my standards if I ever wear out a pair!
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
      Are you kidding me? Dammit! I have some of the gold painted slotted rotors in storage for my standards if I ever wear out a pair!
      They're not thinner, but may have a different dish. And rather than shim the rotors out, shim the caliper brackets in where they attach to the forks instead...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

They are thiner, i took the the dial calipers out and checked them, dont remember the numbers right now but the were thiner, thin enought it offset the rotor in the caliper bracket and was rubing on the bracket.
        1979 xs1100 f
        floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
        1978 gl 1000 goldwing
        1981 gl 1100 goldwing
        !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

The part number for the special and the standard is the same except for the midnight because of the color. That said, rotors have been seen with a different dish. In the manual the procedure actually calls for adjusting the forks on the standard by bouncing the front end and then moving the clamped end out or in to center the rotor in the caliper bracket. Mine must be moved just a little or they drag, but when moved to center they do NOT stick at all, so while some say I'm an idiot for following the factory manual procedure, I'll do what the guys who knew what they were doing and what had clearly been working on this bike for over 100,000 miles.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Agreed, if they are a different thickness then they have been surfaced at some point because as others have said they are all the same thickness (xs650 as well) but every now and then one came from the factory with a slightly different dish.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Then something is weard here then, i measured the inside dish and the rotor surface of the standard and the special, just to make sure and the special is thiner on the dish and the surface, if it was not dark out i would go out and write down the deference in them.
              1979 xs1100 f
              floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
              1978 gl 1000 goldwing
              1981 gl 1100 goldwing
              !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

Originally posted by cowboybob998 View Post
                Then something is weard here then, i measured the inside dish and the rotor surface of the standard and the special, just to make sure and the special is thiner on the dish and the surface, if it was not dark out i would go out and write down the deference in them.
                Yeah, its real common to swap front wheels from model to model and year to year. Even rears are swapped between years and sometimes even models (it's one of the mods used to lower a standard).

The only XS models that use different size rotors are the 750 and 850, all the others use the same rotors.

And except for the 11 special, they all use the same calipers.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I have got another special front end out in the shead with sloted rotors on it i will go out there tomorow and see if there is any deferences in the two, may be these rotors came off of something elece, ya never know when dealing with what some one elce has done to a bike befor you get it.
                  1979 xs1100 f
                  floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                  1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                  1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                  !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

They DO fit, put a full set of them on my '79 standard just cause I like the look, had them on there for 6 years now. No problems at all.

Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

sloted/non sloted rotors

I checked two sets of standard rotors and two sets of special rotors today and the standard rotors are thicker than the special rotors that i have, about 2MM thicher, now the the standard rotors are both off of a 78 and i can not tell you for sure that the special rotors are the real special rotors or not but one set was on a 81 special that i have, they look the same exsept for the thickness, any way i had to shim one side to get them to line up, i did check the part number on bike bandit and they are not the same part number witch make sence because one is sloted and one is not, that would make the deferent part number, any way thats all i know, got em working, all i care about right now.
                      1979 xs1100 f
                      floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                      1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                      1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                      !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

fine looking bike

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                        They DO fit, put a full set of them on my '79 standard just cause I like the look, had them on there for 6 years now. No problems at all.

Divinci that is one fine looking standard you have there.
                        1979 xs1100 f
                        floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                        1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                        1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                        !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

That it is..........considering its previous life......
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                          X