Ideas for reparing bolt boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for reparing bolt boss

While trying to remove the broken screw from the front center of valve cover the boss on the head broke off. Looking for what has been do in the past if this has happened to anybody else. Thank you for the help.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
    Last edited by daf1668; 03-17-2011, 06:07 PM.
    Current 1981 xs1100H
    First Bike was 1982 xj550j

I would look into a replacement but:

You could look into this product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=843jj...eature=related

I'm considering it to repair some fins but; haven't as yet got around to it.
    Andreas Wiess may have a replacement.

Good Luck
    Rick
    XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
    650SF
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
    XS1100SG Project bike
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

That is really nasty looking. I think you may be looking at replacing the head there. I'm not sure that's something that can be repaired, not and stay repaired anyways.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickrod3 View Post
        Most of these 'home fix' aluminum welding products have one major drawback; they melt at too low a tempature. A cylinder head can get pretty close to that hot in normal use. Not much point if the first time you ride it that stuff all runs off...

Best bet? Find somebody that can TIG-weld the piece back on, or just get another head. You might also try gooping it real good with silicon and forget the bolt..
        Last edited by crazy steve; 03-17-2011, 07:24 PM.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Might be able to grind the bottom of the boss somewhat flat, then use a nut and a bolt to fasten the valve cover down. Maybe using a flat piece of steel as a washer on the bottom. Then use RTV around that area. JAT
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Ouch!!!

You already know what the only permanent repair is... remove from bike, strip it to bare casting, send to qualified aluminum welder, then to machine shop for re-finishing....mega fundage!!

That being said, there are a number of less invasive options, as it appears that the failure did not extend into the oil side of the casting and is confined only to the gasket clamp load boss alone.

The simplest option is to ignore it and use a gasket material that requires no clamp "load" per se, such as yamabond or permatex anerobic sealer using the remaining screws to "make" the gasket, then use jb weld or jb quik weld to 'bondo' the screw and missing boss in place for cosmetic purposes.
            If you want to return to a cut gasket and need the clamp load to seal it, the best option (short of the permanent fix) is to use a product made by 3M called DURAMIX. It is an epoxy like material that has a working time of 20 seconds, is "machineable" in 5 minutes and fully cured in one hour resulting in a polypropalene like end product.
            The starter kit comes with the applicator gun, two 4 0z packets and 6 'mixer' tips for about 100 bucks and available at NAPA. You can form it in place around a screw, let it harden, then remove the screw leaving re-usable threads behind, and this stuff has hundreds of other uses as well. I use it at work as a temporary patch for rusted through and leaking oil pans among many other things. I used it to recreate the broken thread boss on my cam chain tensioner and ran it a full season until cowboybob hooked me up with an undamaged used replacement. Thanx again Bob
            '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              Might be able to grind the bottom of the boss somewhat flat, then use a nut and a bolt to fasten the valve cover down. Maybe using a flat piece of steel as a washer on the bottom. Then use RTV around that area. JAT
              I would probably give that a try. You might be able to find a flanged nut and grind off the portion that would be next to the head. Maybe the remaining flange portion could help keep it in place with the ground-flat surface of the boss bottom...
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks for all the great ideas. I do agree a new head or tig is the best answer. Just trying to get thru this riding season is all. Probably will go with the nut and bolt idea with rtv sealant and do a permanent repair or replacement head this winter.
                Current 1981 xs1100H
                First Bike was 1982 xj550j

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
                  Ouch!!!

You already know what the only permanent repair is... remove from bike, strip it to bare casting, send to qualified aluminum welder, then to machine shop for re-finishing....mega fundage!!
                  Had to do it to mine a while back, but then we have alloy welders at work and the machining was done by me with a file, sandpaper and a thread tap. All up it cost me 40 bucks, and part of that was for the tap.

I realise that many dont have access to things quite that easily but it illustrates the point that these things dont always have to be difficult, or terminal. I bet if you look round your circle of friends you'll likely find someone that knows someone that can sort it for you at minimal cost.
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

get a wire cup for your drill, clean the site real good, then load the bike in a pick up and find a descent welding shop in the area. Look for the kind of place where most the guys look a lil disheveled and hung over. show it to them and I bet they can build up the area with tig welder then you get home and grind close to flat, file completely flat and drill and tap. I had the same thing happen, total repair cost assuming you have the tools to do the grinding, filing, drilling and tapping. . . ten bucks and a six pack for a tip!

Comment

Working...
                    X