Anyone ever put a FJ motor into a XS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever put a FJ motor into a XS?

So I found for sale a high performance FJ engine that was used for a mini sprint and was wondering if a FJ engine will fit into a XS? I talked with the guy and he said it only had a few hot laps on the motor when the timing chain broke and ruined the valves in one cylinder... I was just toying with the idea of putting the motor into a XS or finding a FJ to put it into. I was worried about drive-ability of it though, aside from the damage it has... Any thoughts?

http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/2263964609.html
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

If it fits you'll have to use a chain drive. That's all i know, unless you or someone you know has the ability to convert an FJ to shaft drive. I've never seen or even heard of one.
    If you're going to find an FJ to put it into just find a complete running FJ and forget about this other engine. Probably caused more bottom end damage aswell.

Comment

$1800 for a dead motor??? I don't think so...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

This engine is supposed to be capable of ~180 + hp with all the work done to it… higher compression pistons, cams, port/polish…etc. I suppose if I was really serious about buying it I would have him split the case so I can make sure the bottom end was in good health. I just figured, comparatively an engine with this amount of work might cost over $3000 at today’s cost so this might be a nice score if all it needed was a timing chain and a few valves… Ive been looking for a cheap FJ to buy and ride, this engine would make a nice sleeper bike.
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

They're good strong engines, just like the XS they're derived from, so should be a good conversion. Someone's already done it, or something similair, on one of the sites, Aus, Uk or here. Handle of FJ111200 comes to mind. Try the Uk site first.
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
          X