Next to the splooge hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xs1100newb View Post
    I have reassembled the master cylinder and when I squeeze the lever the cylinder does not return as it should. It does eventually return but it is slow. Will this change once I put fluid into the system?

I did not lubricate the bore with anything before putting it back together, but it was still wet with brake fluid.
    It should pop right back if you press the piston in, so if it's coming back slow it's because of the lack of lube or there's still some crud in/on the m/s bore. Try pouring a bit of fluid in in it, and if that doesn't help, you'll need to hone. This will damage the seals if you don't address it. A light honing will clean this up.

To hone it, pick up a piece of 3/8" wood dowling. Cut it about 6" long, then hacksaw a 2" long 'split' in it. Fold some 600 grit sandpaper and slip it in the 'split' you cut. Wrap the paper around the dowl so it'll go in the cylinder (you don't need a tight fit) then spin it with a drillmotor. Hone/clean the bore just until the piston moves easily. Once it moves freely, thoroughly clean everything and reassemble.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...