Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange action on rear turn signal

Hey everyone,

Have a strange problem with rear turn signals. L side works properly when used, but when I go to use the right side signal, all lights start blinking just like having my 4 ways on? Even the lights on the dash(high beam blue or if in neutral, the green one blinks.) I have noticed after taking off lenses, both turn signals have dual filaments. I thought they should be singles? Am I wrong on this? Any help appreciated. Dave
    1980 xs1100g

if u have running lights then you would
    have dual fillament globes in the blinkers,
    check that you have a good earth,
    also have u changed any globes lately?
    i had something similar happen after fitting a new globe on a car i was working on years ago.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

First things first. What year and model bike? Suggest putting it in your signature line so it never needs to be asked again. After that then we can move ahead.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

1980 xs1100g

Originally posted by petejw View Post
        if u have running lights then you would
        have dual fillament globes in the blinkers,
        check that you have a good earth,
        also have u changed any globes lately?
        i had something similar happen after fitting a new globe on a car i was working on years ago.
        Actually, I did put new bulbs in recently.
        1980 xs1100g

Comment

1980 xs1100g

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          First things first. What year and model bike? Suggest putting it in your signature line so it never needs to be asked again. After that then we can move ahead.
          Sorry about that. Just put into signature.
          1980 xs1100g

Comment

IIRC, the standard models do have runing lights built into the trun signals, so you would have dual element bulbs. But there is nothing about the turn signal circuit that SHOULD cause your dash lights to blink unless some PO really dorked up the wiring, most likely up in the headlight bucket.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              IIRC, the standard models do have runing lights built into the trun signals, so you would have dual element bulbs. But there is nothing about the turn signal circuit that SHOULD cause your dash lights to blink unless some PO really dorked up the wiring, most likely up in the headlight bucket.
              thanks. i'm gonna have to get good schematic and start checking. fun fun.
              1980 xs1100g

Comment

1st id check that you have a good earth on the blinker,
                you can do that by using a jump wire from a good
                ground point to the blinker.

was it working fine before you change the globes?

a new funky globe can do all sorts of things to the electrical
                system, ive had 2 occassions working on cars over the years where a brand new globe was fitted and caused all sorts of weired things to the lighting system, you could try removing 1 of the globes that u replaced at a time and see if it makes any differences.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

The standards only have running lights in the FRONT. The rear would still have single filament bulbs in them. If you do go to rear running lights you must have red lenses on the signals.

I would start by checking the grounds first.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The front turn signal lamps should have dual filament bulbs, and the rear should have single filament ones (1157 and 1156 type respectively) if it is still an unmodified standard lighting setup. If you have a dual filament bulb in the rear lamp, that would cause precisely the symptoms you describe.
                    Also If you have the bulb in the front socket installed incorrectly (clocked 180 degrees out) you will also create the same fault.
                    '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Had that happen

I had that happen just recently on my xj,,,it turned out to be, of all things, the BATTERY was going bad. The signals would flash the dash and all the lights. I went through all the wires looking for a bad ground or short and it ended up being a 5 year old battery that must have some sort of wierd short inside,,,,anyway try a different battery or get a new one if its a few years old.....hope that solves it..............................Mike in Sun DIego
                      mike
                      1982 xj1100 maxim
                      1981 venture bagger
                      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                      1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
                        I had that happen just recently on my xj,,,it turned out to be, of all things, the BATTERY was going bad. The signals would flash the dash and all the lights. I went through all the wires looking for a bad ground or short and it ended up being a 5 year old battery that must have some sort of wierd short inside,,,,anyway try a different battery or get a new one if its a few years old.....hope that solves it..............................Mike in Sun DIego
                        bought bike 5 months ago, was told at dealer battery was new. this prob started last week, AFTER I had to jump Battery to start bike! Should I charge battery and then try? I have a trickle charger, but takes forever. I also have regular charger, but what setting should I use on? Don't want to cook battery by blasting with too much juice. Thanks for all help.Dave

P.S. Where can I locate parts to install kick start and what parts would I need? I've read different posts that on the '80g that it can be done without splitting case, from '81 on can't be done. If poss. I'd like to install. Thanks
                        Last edited by dschmitta; 03-13-2011, 11:27 AM. Reason: forgot info
                        1980 xs1100g

Comment

Jump it

It would be easiest to try to jump by going directly from a car. Undo the mc battery bolts completely, hook up some umper cables to any car and try to start and also check your lights. If the bike starts and lights work its probably what happened to me, the battery developed some sort of short internally. If you want to charge it any charger is fine, you wont cook the battery. However, I charged my old battery repeatedly and the same problem with the funky all lights flashing continued. I went out, got a new battery, put it in, and VOILA, the lights, turn signals everything was fine. SO, jump it with a car, it will cause no problems,remember to totally bypass the mc battery and try it.........................as far as the kickstarter, I faintly recall its a real pain in the xxx to do,,,,,I know 3Phase has done it, maybe p.m. him for an answer. let us know........................Mike in Sun DIego
                          mike
                          1982 xj1100 maxim
                          1981 venture bagger
                          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                          1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
                            It would be easiest to try to jump by going directly from a car. Undo the mc battery bolts completely, hook up some umper cables to any car and try to start and also check your lights. If the bike starts and lights work its probably what happened to me, the battery developed some sort of short internally. If you want to charge it any charger is fine, you wont cook the battery. However, I charged my old battery repeatedly and the same problem with the funky all lights flashing continued. I went out, got a new battery, put it in, and VOILA, the lights, turn signals everything was fine. SO, jump it with a car, it will cause no problems,remember to totally bypass the mc battery and try it.........................as far as the kickstarter, I faintly recall its a real pain in the xxx to do,,,,,I know 3Phase has done it, maybe p.m. him for an answer. let us know........................Mike in Sun DIego
                            Went out and tried signals without starting bike. Worked perfect first five or six tries. After that, went haywire with everything blinking again. I think it may actually be the battery. Probably was holding small charge until I kept turning on and using signals. Once charge dropped off, problems started. I'm gonna try using other battery and see if works. Also, I don't like the idea of rear running lights, would it be okay to swap dual filaments for singles? Or do I have to change any wiring. Thanks, Dave
                            1980 xs1100g

Comment

Originally posted by dschmitta View Post
                              Went out and tried signals without starting bike. Worked perfect first five or six tries. After that, went haywire with everything blinking again. I think it may actually be the battery. Probably was holding small charge until I kept turning on and using signals. Once charge dropped off, problems started. I'm gonna try using other battery and see if works. Also, I don't like the idea of rear running lights, would it be okay to swap dual filaments for singles? Or do I have to change any wiring. Thanks, Dave
                              Unless it's been modified it doesn't have rear running lights. And if it's been modified, they you need to change the wiring to change that, and in every state I know of, rear running lights are required to be red not yellow. And putting dual filament bulbs in single sockets could cause problems as well, so make sure the sockets have two contacts in the bottom of them if your using dual filament bulbs, and if so, you need to change out to stock setup to get rid of the rear running lights.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X