Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping float bowl screws

Hello all,

This has now happened several times. Seemingly at random, I will come into the garage in the morning and different float bowl screws will be on the ground. I tightended all of the screws (probably more than I should have) and they still do it. If it matters, I am using SS allen head screws. For the life of me I cannot figure out why this is happening. I have not even ridden the bike yet, but I have started it up on the center stand. Perhaps vibrations?

Adam

Are you using a lock washer ?
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

I've put over 20,000 miles on mine and they've never moved. I'd suggest that if it hasn't been ridden and their falling out that they might be stripped out, either that or someone with access to the bike is screwing with you.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

If they did not drop while the bike was idling, they sure would not just drop out later. If you stripped them out, you should have felt that happen, but even then, if the vibration of the machine idling did not drop them, sitting there should not.

Try the lock washer Tinman mentioned or some red loctite thread locker. If they are stripped out, you could always drill and tap for the next larger screw.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

But lock washers or locktite won't do anything about someone screwing with him. And unless they are stripped out, it sounds more like that than anything else.
          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Spade Fuse Box
          750 FD Mod
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

red loctite.......lol. Sure won't have to worry bout the screws fallin' out!.............or getting them out if you wanted to for that matter.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yeah, I would probably recommend the blue if anything. Frankly if there is a lockwasher on there I can't see the darn things coming out on their own. And now while it's sitting in any case. I still think a person is involved.
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Screwed

Definitaly Gremlins What kind of insurance do You have
                1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. It is sitting in my parents garage and I am pretty sure no one is screwing with it.

I don't have lock washers on there. Frankly, I did not know they were that important. I will put them on. I am reluctant to use locktite.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by xs1100newb View Post
                    Thanks for the responses everyone. It is sitting in my parents garage and I am pretty sure no one is screwing with it.

I don't have lock washers on there. Frankly, I did not know they were that important. I will put them on. I am reluctant to use locktite.

Adam
                    Don't forget the anti-seize anytime you use SS in aluminum threads .
                    BDF Special
                    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Are you saying that anti-seize is required with SS and aluminum?

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by xs1100newb View Post
                        Are you saying that anti-seize is required with SS and aluminum?
                        Absolutely.... You should use anti-sieze on any stainless steel bots/nuts, no matter what you're threading it into. Stainless galls extremely easy sometimes, and anti-sieze will prevent that. I've seen SS put together finger-tight, then have them break when trying to remove it...

If you want to use locktite, put it under the bolt/nut head, not on the threads.
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                        X