What are these connectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these connectors?

It's been said many time before, so I'll say it a little different. I'm a rookie at XS1100 maintenance. I owned a '79 back in '79 and own a '79 again as of last fall.
    It runs and rides but needs some work and I've been perusing this site for some time now and know that there's a lot of great people here willing to help out those less knowledgeable.
    As spring has finally sprung here in Calgary, I think, I'm going to start planning my maintenance tasks. The first thing I would like to know, as I can't actually work on the bike yet, is what these electrical connectors are.

I think this one is where the Turn Signal Cancel Unit is supposed to be.

This one I have no idea

Larger images can be seen here.

Any help would be appreciated.

And as others here have also said, I'll be back, with many more questions.

Thanks
    Bob
    1979 XS1100F

Second photo I believe is a pigtail for optional turn signal bar that mounts at the licence plate. This is for when saddlebags are mounted to the bike.

First photo might be for the flasher canceller unit, can't see the color of the wires which would be helpful for identifying .
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Bob!

It looks like you have a 1979 XS1100F Standard.

The first picture should be the self-canceler but it looks like someone removed it and taped a cap over the end of the connector. How many wires does it have and what color are they?

The second picture shows the auxiliary lighting connector for the trunk/touring bags. It should be secured by the small metal tabs you see next to the hinge on the rear fender instead of flopping around under the seat.
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Thanks guys. And I didn't even have to tell you what bike I had. You just know your stuff. And that's why I'm here.

So it appears as though the Cancel Unit has 5 wires, faded, but it looks like:
        Yellow-Red Stripe
        Yellow-Green Strip
        White-Green Stripe
        Black
        Brown

Same link as before to see larger image.

Thanks again.
        Bob
        1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by forexbob View Post
          So it appears as though the Cancel Unit has 5 wires, faded, but it looks like:
          Yellow-Red Stripe
          Yellow-Green Strip
          White-Green Stripe
          Black
          Brown
          Yep, flasher cancel unit.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey Bob I believe I have a spare on of those kicking around here. Lacombe is not all that far north of you and there are a couple of us around here. Rooster and Kjohnson are close by. I have another couple of XS's that I work on as well as my own. Don't be shy once the weather breaks to ride north an hour or so.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Rasputin,

If you're willing to part with that part (ha ha) that would be great. I'm pulling the bike apart right now and hopefully it will be back up and running soon. I'll definitely head up your way to see your stable. I'll probably ask you lots of questions too!

Bob
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by forexbob View Post
                Rasputin,

If you're willing to part with that part (ha ha) that would be great. I'm pulling the bike apart right now and hopefully it will be back up and running soon. I'll definitely head up your way to see your stable. I'll probably ask you lots of questions too!

Bob
                Welcome to my garage any time! I like shooting the breeze and showing off my stuff, even though most of it is a work in progress.
                2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Ok I know I am a bit red/green color blind! The one I have has six wires.
                  Brown
                  Black
                  Yellow red tracer
                  White red tracer
                  White with a greenish blue tracer
                  Yellow with greenish blue tracer
                  There are no numbers that I can see on it except for 670 on the white area where the wires go in. Is this sounding like the correct one? It came off a 78E parts bike I have but I know none of its history. It looks just like the one on the Beneficial site.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                    White with a greenish blue tracer
                    Rasputin, the self-canceler itself does have six wires but there are only five wires on the harness side of the connection. I believe the White/Green wire from the self-canceler unit is not connected.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Thanks 3 phase I just wanted to be sure before confirming that I do have one here for Bob and yes I will part with it. The whole 5 wires in and six out of a connecter confuses me as electrickery and me are not such great friends.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

???????????????

Do you guys sleep? What are you doing up at that time of the morning?

Thanks 3phase for confirming what rasputin has and thanks rasputin for being willing to part with that part (ha ha ha.....hey, if you want good comedy you have to pay for it)

Not sure about Lacombe but here in Calgary we just got another 2 inches of snow and more is expected. Probably won't be up your way any time soon. Will have to wait until spring actually springs or is this going to be one of those years where winter goes right into our 2 weeks of summer and then back into fall?

Bob
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

Hey Bob I can mail it to you if you like. Few more days and the sun will be back out. We had but a taste of spring here and now it is time to say bye bye to the snow.
                          2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

That would be great if you could mail it to me. PM'd you my address.

It is dull and drab here right now and all the trees are white. If the sun were out it wold make a real nice winter scene...but it's almost April!

Sunny and warm next week though is the prediction.
                            1979 XS1100F

Comment

It is in the mail and hopefully the weather man is not fibbing when he says in the teens mid next week.
                              2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X