1979 XS11 exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 XS11 exhaust

I know this is a question thats been beat to death. Does any manufacturer other than Mac still make an exhaust for my 1979 XS11. I've beaten the bushes, shook the trees and the snow is melted here in Connecticut. Got to find the exhaust. Ready to just dust off the welder and straight pipe it. I currently have 4 into 1 I think its a Mac and underneath at the first bend it is blown out. A friend suggested building the pipe and installing a slip on. Problem is which one. Would love to put a Supertrapp and tune the sound. Do I just figure the pipe size on the existing 4:1 header and buy a slip on to fit or am I going to put to much backpressure on heads. Need to bring this to the table here with my brothers and/or sisters of the loved XS11. Any suggestions are welcome.

Well, for the USA, MAC's it! Folks have posted about IIRC the X-pipe from the UK or Aust. $$$ and shipping $$!

The OEM pipes/mufflers provided the most backpressure, all other after market pipes are less, so with your 4-1 and a slip on, you'll probably still be much less in the backpressure area than OEM. HOWEVER how it will affect the performance of your 4-1 is another story!

4-1's are usually tuned for performance in the upper 5-7k rpm ranges, and a slip on with too much backpressure could reduce that performance. But if you rarely run it up there anyways, then you may not even notice any performance hit with whatever slip on you put on!? YMMV!

Have you thought of taking it to a muffler shop and having them put a patch on the BEND blown out area...to get you by for another season so you can shop around better and not have to make any hasty decisions?!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

There is a german guy who makes reproduction oem exhaust as well.

And as long as you don't mine the something like 1000-1500 dollar price tag as well as something like 1 year wait, oh and the shipping....
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

And, if you post your location, you MAY find an exhaust system close by. I picked up a STOCK 1980 Special exhaust that has about 5K miles on it. Most of my bikes are Standards, and the system will NOT work correctly.
        PM me if interested, or look in the "for sale" threads.
        Welcome to the site!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Mac 4-1 header with a Supertrapp can works well and makes very good low end power. You need to make a custom middle pipe to join the two together though. I run that setup on my 79 Special. Not many choices on exhausts these days so you might have to get creative.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            There is a german guy who makes reproduction oem exhaust as well....
            Don't forget James England got a very nice SS set custom built for about $800, but that was in Britain...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Kerker

Figman has a Kerker for sale in the parts forum
              1979XS1100SF
              K&N's and drilled airbox
              Jardine 4in1
              Dunlop Elite 3's
              JBM slide diaphragms
              142.5 main jets
              45 pilot jets
              T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
              750/850 FD mod.
              XV 920 Needle Mod.
              Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
              Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Also, keep an eye on eBay. I picked up an OEM exhaust for my Special...left side from one seller, right side from another. Total cost with shipping was $225.
                XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
                -- Jack Burton

Comment

Working...
                X