Need Help from Florida XSers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help from Florida XSers

I'm down here in Melbourne trying to get John Doe's 78 running for the first time in 10 years. The carbs are almost done and the parts we needed from my pile in NC arrived today so the bakes have also been gone thru. At issue is the spark. We found one coil with 2 bad wires so we did the wire replacement thing with great success. The other coil is DOA. Reads open across the secondary leads even with the wires removed. So is there an XSer in the great state of FL who has a 1.5 ohm coil that's good and would be willing to sell it to us. We will drive and pick it up tomorrow if its not to far.

The other option is to buy the green coils from Mikes but I don't know if using those which are 3 ohms with a TCI that's set up for the 1.5 system will cause a problem. Can some one help me out.

Thanks
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
    The other option is to buy the green coils from Mikes but I don't know if using those which are 3 ohms with a TCI that's set up for the 1.5 system will cause a problem. Can some one help me out.
    You can use the 'green' coils, just bypass the ballast resistor and all will be good....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post

Thanks
      All the TCI's are designed for 3 ohms, they just used 1.5 ohm coils with a 1.5 ohm resistor in line that is switched out while cranking with the starter on the older models. 81 and newer just use 3 ohm coils directly and this can be done with any of them as long as you bypass the resistor.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks Steve. By bypass do you mean I just connect the 2 leads going to the ballast resister
        wingnut
        81 SH (Daily Ride)
        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yep, just plug them into each other and you have a direct connection, which means you need 3 ohm coils in place.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I have several of those 1.5 ohm coils, but I'm 150 miles from you. You are better off upgrading to the 3 ohm ones though, JMHO.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
            X