Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morgan Carbtune and Colortune info (plug size, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morgan Carbtune and Colortune info (plug size, etc.)

I am planning on ordering one today, but wanted to get some feedback from anyone familiar with them. First off, what size plugs do our bikes run? Also, do I need to order the 4 plug colortune, or will a single one work?
    1980 XS1100G. Work in progress.
    1980 XS1100G. 2nd work in progress.

Our bikes use the 14mm. As to the colortune, you only adjust one at a time, so the single will work. You do need to turn the engine off, remove it from one cylinder, and install in the next between tuning each cylinder.

It would certainly speed up the process with 4 of them. Well ...Maybe...Every bike I have ever had one on, even when tuned correctly still misses and pops periodically on the colortune plug. It is a great way to see inside the chamber while the bike is running and adjust mixture to prety dang close. But it does not spark 100% the same as a real spark plug. This is why you still need to read the plugs and make any needed final small adjustments after colortuning (IMO anyway....YMMV...and all that stuff)
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by ThrottleJunky View Post
      I am planning on ordering one today, but wanted to get some feedback from anyone familiar with them. First off, what size plugs do our bikes run? Also, do I need to order the 4 plug colortune, or will a single one work?
      We use 14mm plugs. The 4-port carbtune is the way to go. You CAN get away with it using the 2-port, but it's a lot easier to plug in 4 tubes and take care of it all at once than have to keep switching back and forth.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Do you think maybe I should just forget about the Colortune, and just go for the Carbtune? It's quite expensive for both.

Comment

Originally posted by ThrottleJunky View Post
          Thanks for the reply. Do you think maybe I should just forget about the Colortune, and just go for the Carbtune? It's quite expensive for both.
          If you can only swing the cost of one, get the Carbtune. It's compact, clean, simple and easy to use. The colortune is nice, but some people have a definite distaste for them. The task that they perform can be done by ear (if you know what to listen for), or by checking the plugs over time. If you can swing the cost for both, I would suggest getting both.

Oh, and make sure you get the storage case for the Carbtune.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

The Colortune is more expensive than the Carbtune, and if I got both, with the case, it is $247 and change which doesn't include shipping. That's a little much right now. The Carbtune is $100 + shipping. I think I'll stick to that, and try to deal with getting the fuel adjustments right based upon plug color, etc.

Comment

Misread I guess, I thought you were debating getting 4 colortune plugs. Did not know they made a single cylinder carbtune, for that I would stick with my mity-vac and a PVC plenum.

I agree completely that if your going to buy one or the other, the carbtune will save you much more time and effort than the colortune plug.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I only ordered the Carbtune.

PS- It comes with 5mm and 6mm adapters. I am assuming this is all I need?
                Last edited by ThrottleJunky; 03-09-2011, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I really like the Carbtune. Good quality, well-made and useful tool that does it's job. No mercury is one of the many features...

Comment

Colortune plug

Does anyone have a broke or junk one they could send me? I was talking to some guys at work about one and they said what the f--- are you talking about, they said never heard of such a thing. I wanted to show them what it look like. Better to show the real thing than to look at a picture.
                    Thanks Tom
                    82 XJ DAILY RIDE
                    78 XS1100E FIXING UP
                    79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
                    79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
                    80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
                    82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

Ordered on the 9th, and still no sign of this thing. Starting to become impatient.

Comment

That's certainly the longest I have ever heard it take. mine was pretty fast to arrive. have you tried contacting them?
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Mine took a little over a month and I was pissed. But I can tell you it was worth the wait! Still, I would call and pester, just me!

Deny
                          1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                          1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Mine took a week or two at most.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I've been thinking about getting one myself. For those who have ordered one, is there an import duty or tax or whatever?
                              XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
                              -- Jack Burton

Comment

Working...
                              X