XJ11 & Plexistar2 Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ11 & Plexistar2 Windshield

I've been considering the Plexistar2 windshield for my XJ11. I do want a maximum coverage windshield as I like that in cold weather, when bugs are flying or when it's raining...

I've been looking to see a photo of this windshield on a XJ11 to see if it's what I want but only see it demonstrated on a Honda. Anyone have a photo of this windshield on an XJ11?

Perhaps a different kind of full coverage windshield?

Thanks
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Windsheild

KA1J,

I have a Plexistar 2 on my 80LG (no photo available, bike is torn down for powder coating). It gives half way decent upper body coverage, almost nothing below the waist. If you are looking for max coverage, try a
    Plexifaring 3. I use those on my other three bikes and it gives great coverage.
    I did use the Plexifaring 3 on the 80LG for a short time, I borrowed it off of my 82 Virago and it worked well.
    Good luck choosing one.
    LuckyEddie
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
    1982 XV750J Virago
    1976 GL1000
    1978 GL1000 Supercharged
    1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

I had a Plexistar II on mine for a short time, and it worked great. I upgraded to the full fairing later though. There is also the Plexifairing, which has a lower section that hangs down under the handlebars more. Either one would be fine for the XJ, but you have to get the mounting kit (usually sold separately) for the square handlebars.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Here you go.

Larry
        Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
        82 XJ1100
        80 XS1100G (Project bike)
        64 Yamaha YA-6
        77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
        See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

There are pics of my 78 with the plexifairing3 on it in link in my signature, as well as with the street shield.
          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Interesting & thanks for the replies. I have to admit I don't prefer the looks of the full faring windshield but I can more appreciate the advantage of having the lower section on the Plexfaring 3.

So far I haven't seen an ad where the "3" is supposed to fit the XJ11, only ads for the plexistar 2 & XJ. I've read about the need for the adapters for the square handlebars. All considering it seems like the #3 is a good choice. I must have an older Plexistar 2 on my XJ650J as it has holes in it but looks like the Plexistar 2 & there's a good crack in the plastic I was able to epoxy back to solid at the lower connection.

I'll look around for a good price on the 3 & thanks
            82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

No square adapters needed, it can be mounted like in the photo below.

Larry

82 XJ1100
              64 Yamaha YA-6
              77 Suzuki TS-185

Comment

Hiya Larry,

What are the adapters that are attached to the handles & where can I get one? That looks like a pretty nice arrangement. There's Allen nuts in mine so those adapters must have a long bolt holding them in.

The Plexifaring people said I needed "Bag # 47A & 53" to attach the "3" to the XJ11.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
                  Hiya Larry,

What are the adapters that are attached to the handles & where can I get one? That looks like a pretty nice arrangement. There's Allen nuts in mine so those adapters must have a long bolt holding them in.

The Plexifaring people said I needed "Bag # 47A & 53" to attach the "3" to the XJ11.
                  Hi KA1J,

Those are just a couple of 2 1/2" pieces of tubing (old bicycle handle bar) with a flat washer welded to one end. They are held in place by the socket head bolt that you referred to. The plastic plugs in the ends are also from those bicycle handle bars.

Larry

82 XJ1100
                  64 Yamaha YA-6
                  77 Suzuki TS-185

Comment

Working...
                  X