Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck sidecover lock

OK guys I need advice.

My left sidecover on the 78 is jammed up. I cannot get the key in all the way to unlock it. I want to avoid breaking the tab off but I need to change out the battery. Can't get to toolbox either.

So what options do I have? Stick a big screwdriver in it and twist? (if that will even work)

The Rising Sun is my bike in San Diego that I keep in the parking lot at work so no shop or tools other than what is in the unreachable toolbox.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
    OK guys I need advice.

My left sidecover on the 78 is jammed up. I cannot get the key in all the way to unlock it. I want to avoid breaking the tab off but I need to change out the battery. Can't get to toolbox either.

So what options do I have? Stick a big screwdriver in it and twist? (if that will even work)

The Rising Sun is my bike in San Diego that I keep in the parking lot at work so no shop or tools other than what is in the unreachable toolbox.

John
    If you can get some kind of spray lubricant and one of those straws to spray in the lock my work to loosen it up likely full of dirt.
    '79 XS11SF

Comment

John, the key is not supposed to go all the way in the side cover lock, just the first part of the key. Yamaha saved money on a couple of tumblers.

If the tip of the key does fit but just won't turn the lock cylinder, spray some PB Blaster or WD-40 in the lock and GENTLY try to loosen the lock.
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

will try spraying

The lock sliding cover was displaced so dirt is probably best explanation.

Once I get it open then I can deal with dead battery

Thanks
        John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

I've never used a key. I just take off the top, then wiggle the bottom off. It may not be right, but Ive done it this way maybe 20 times. It goes back on fine. Haven't broke anything yet.
          1980 xs11sg
          16600 miles, soon to be a lot more
          stock headers with free flow exhaust
          mikes xs pods
          #45 pilot jets
          #130 main jets on 2 & 3
          #125 main jets on 1 & 4

Comment

Originally posted by OLY-XSer View Post
            I've never used a key. I just take off the top, then wiggle the bottom off. It may not be right, but Ive done it this way maybe 20 times. It goes back on fine. Haven't broke anything yet.
            your playing with fire, your going to break that old brittle plastic one of these times.

I agree just pump it full of some stay lube and slowly work it around.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Just remember the lock only turns one way. When you have the key inserted, turn the top of the key TOWARD you. If you try to turn it the other way, you'll just end up bending the key.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

All good info yer getting. After using a penetrating fluid and letting it soak, gently try turning the key clockwise. It only takes about an eighth of a turn to fully open the lock. If it doesn't want to turn, try pushing the bottom of the side cover in a little to release pressure on the lock and then turn the key.

Good luck!

BTW one of the best penetrating fluids can be made at home cheaply. An even mix of ATF and kerosene will bust loose the rustiest of bolts. Some tool mag did a test and found this mix second only to Kroil. and a lot cheaper. It is not storable so only mix what ya need. Trust me, it works and is now what I use all the time.

Comment

Take the seat off. Use a long Philips screwdriver and undo the two screws that hold the lock on. Then you can remove the side cover with the lock as one piece. Then there are three small screws holding the back on the lock, remove them. Push the lock mechanism ahead with your finger or a screwdriver and your done. The side cover will be off and the lock is easily put back together. You can then access the tumblers etc as well so if they are rusted, busted or dirty you can deal with them. You may also find a small piece of broken tab in the lock which will cause the lock to not function. I did. I had my battery out at the time too but think you can get by it to get the screws out without removing it. Worked for me!
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Thanks guys!

I used PB Blaster until I got movement - it helped knowing the key needed to turn towards me - I hadn't opened it on either bike in so long I didn't remember that... I finally got it open and kept spraying it until it moves pretty good now - the cover had slid to the side so I guess dirt was being forced in by airflow!

Now I can get to the tools - I appreciate the directions for lock removal, it may come in handy another time -

Now to get a new battery!

John

Comment

Glad ya got her open without any breakage!
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                      X