Battery overflow tube question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery overflow tube question

can we put a reseviour on the end of the vent tube?
    I thought about putting a bottle with 2 upward pointing nipples (one for the tube, the other for open air) so any corrosive liquid that boils out (or whatever) doesnt drip onto the frame but air can vent out the top. Like a moisture collector (if there is such a thing).
    I have evidence of acid drips from old battery and thought this was unacceptable.
    Any ideas?
    79 Special
    2012 FJR1300
    78 E (project. Clutch problems from PO) Must sell

That tube is supposed to hang down below the frame, so that anything that comes out of there drips on the ground. You could make it longer if it's not that far, but sometimes you see evidence of that leakage because the tube wasn't hooked up.

It also shouldn't be any liquid coming out of there, damage is often from the vapor coming out, which even with your bottle idea would still come out and cause the same damage. Plus you would have to find a bottle rated for acid as well, not all plastics handle it well.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

The battery overflow tube is supposed to go into the two clips on the left side of the tray (facing the battery opening), then from there under the tray and through the loop on the back of the frame tube. If it's routed properly, the only place overflow can go is onto the rear tire.

It does pay to remove the battery at least once a year and clean that whole area. Most corrosion damage is from spilling fluid when installing and/or failing to clean it out, or charging the battery in the bike.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I use a prescription pill bottle from the drug store with a hole drilled in the cap for the tube. It's tie wrapped to the frame behind the side cover. I don't like dripping acid on the pavers in my driveway, it ruins them.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I use an SLA battery, no venting or tubes needed
          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

My wife bought me a sealed one for my birthay in 2007 I have not had to charge it once. It still has plenty o juice. I figured it'd die before now. She bought it for about 100 bucks at advanced or az I forgot which. I will look later and see the brand. I always had problems with the fillable batteries. On a gpz I used to own the drip tube was gone and the acid was dripping on the rect/regulator and ate most of the wires.... I only paid 500 for the bike because it wouldn't hold a charge... the po replaced the stator and could never fix it... I got a replacement for the rectifier and. Blamo instant charging oops sorry about hijacking your thread...
            " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
            xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

Working...
            X