Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venturer Gas Tank...

.. on Ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Looks to be in decent shape with a few dings. Mis-listed as a '79 tank, I'm pretty sure this is the larger tank. Anyway, for whoever is looking for one, here you go...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

That IS the Venturer tank Steve. To bad the sending unit location got hacked up.....maybe fixable, but could'nt be used the way it is...........some peoples kids.....eeeeek.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

It has been a while sinc eI had my tank down for painting and cleaning, but I seem to recall the special fuel sender would cover that hole, At least it seems like it. You could easily cut a piece of steel backer to put behind the fuel sender with some gasketing between the tank and the backer plate and the between the backer and the sender and still use it.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Been a while for me too DGXSER. IIRC it uses an oblong large O-ring......and the special sending won't be a "plug-n-play" swap as the mount and arm are configured different and on the other side of tank. Also, idiot lite on special and gauge on standard go with corresponding sending units. Again, that opening just doesn't look like correct configuration and looks modified. The screw holes look pulled out too as if the sending unit was pryed off pulling piece of tank out and was squared up to look better. As is, would'nt even make a good paper weight, let alone hold anything liquid. Bettin' once it was cleaned inside the bottom seams would leak like a seive.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The sender opening on the one listed looks exactly like the one I've got laying in the shop, and I know that one hasn't been modified. As to why that one has been 'kreamed', who knows...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The sending unit is stock! just has the issues with the two dings. (at least, that's MY humble opinion!)
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks Ray and Steve.........CRS definitely got me there........confused that with petcocks mounting with the o-ring.

Comment

Gona watch this one just to see what it goes for, i just gave 150 for the one i got, lot better shape than this one, but if i did not have it i would be jumping on this one, had been watching for one of these for a while, they dont come around very offten, the sending unit is proubly the same for the outher standard tank i would bet, that tank is restoreable and they aint making them any more.
                1979 xs1100 f
                142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
                floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
                when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Working...
                X