Somewhat new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhat new here

I have been a member here for a little while and lurked without being a member longer. I got a 1978 for $25 in October of 2009. It ran although some of the parts are from different motorcycles. During the winter I had found this site and started reading up on motorcycles. I had not ridden or owned a motorcycle before.

So, last spring I started my riding career. Last summer I have had my fights off and on with the XS, but generally managed to keep it running thanks to this website. A few people I know that rode it where impressed by how hard the old bike would pull. It's a great bike and pulled and ran hard. I did take the MSF class, thankfully in the guard I was payed to take it. I did use my dad's 02 shadow ace for the class, it was a whole lot lighter and easier to handle.

I could never get the XS to idle smooth and run quite right. So I rode it down a couple weeks ago to a local bike shop. Living in a rural area local was about 40 miles. When I called them on Wed to see how it was going the owner was a little dumbfounded that it even ran.

There was apparently a lot of problems with the carbs and the timing and he took the time to explain them to me and gave me the parts to show how bad off the poor XS was. The owner did give me a great deal, less then half cost, on fixing it since his mechanic did the work and did not consult me on what they were doing. The owner does work another job and has a good reputation in the area for making things right, I have ordered and priced a few parts and it's cheaper to buy from him then anywhere, even the good deals on the internet.

So today I finally got a chance to take the XS out after work. It started and idled a whole better. I took it out a few miles to warm it up a little. When I turned around to come back, I short shifted into second due to some sand and dirt on the road. At about 30 miles rolling I pulled back on the throttle. The front tire almost left the road and took off and pulled harder then I could have imagined. I also tried 5th at about 35, when it hit it's powerband it didn't care what gear it was in.

I did buy the shadow from my dad a few weeks ago. He got a great deal on it, so I got the same deal. It's also easier to manage with my 14 year old daughter. She is a bit hesitant about getting on the back of the XS. Although the shadow has it's qualities, the XS is my preference.

Since I know you love pictures here are a couple. A couple things, the tank is off a Suzuki, the tail lights are Honda and the side covers are from a 650 Yamaha. The previous owner is a friend of mine and just makes due with what he has or can find.

hi tom

hi and welcome ! can you tell me the year and capacity of the Suzuki tank? thank you and ride safe ,,slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Welcome! Yeah, I had one of those oh crap wheel off the geound moments too, just make sure you clean the seat off afterwards!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

looks fine!

welcome!

I think a sissybar would make a passenger feel fine about riding as xs as long as both wheels stay down!

john
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Sounds like you made out pretty good. Glad another XS is still on the road.

Comment

Welcome to the site. Very helpful place. What part of Kansas are you in?
            Richard
            '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
            '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Slo mo, I think the tank is off of a 550 or 850 late 70's or early 80's Suzuki. I'm not real sure which year or bike. It was on the bike when I got it, the only thing I did with it was repaint it and the sidecovers to match. It holds a little over 4.5 gallons, so that seems to fit the timeframe.

XSOki I am in Northeast KS, about a half hour north of Topeka.

The wheel about to come of the ground was a little shocking. I had ridden the bike last summer and used the throttle a little generous a few times. I didn't really expect that kind of response, but it seems to the right one from reading about other people's experience on this forum.

The sissy bar that the PO put on there is going to go. Fortunately, the pics don't show the welds that hold it on. He did give me another back rest/ luggage rack, so there may be a little chopping and welding to put it on.

Or, as with many with this motorcycle bug, I did pick up a 79 special cheap off of craigslist. That one was apparently a full bagger bike and has the back and luggage rack on it. All the fairings and boxes are probably long gone, but I may end up doing something with it later. It's in rough shape, but got another great deal on it.

Safe riding and keep the shining side up.

Comment

Working...
              X