What to do, what to do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do, what to do...

Well, I picked up yet another XS today (now up to five! ) from TacomaJeepJeff (THANKS JEFF! ). A '78E this time, which solves my problem with 'converting' the titled SG frame I have to E/F specs. Jeff said it was running, but there's an issue with the shifting (will go into first/second, but no higher gears). Not too bad, showing it age like most of 'em.

So, what to do with the '80? I now have enough good parts to reassemble this one (can't quite go back to stock, but I've got enough to make it fully legal). Will need the carbs gone through, new paint and seatcover, and I'll have to come up with a headlight (had a Vetter fairing on it). So what say you? Should I:

Just finish parting it out?

Or put it back on road for another owner? With or without a fairing? (now have three fairings!!).
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Shifting

The shifting problem can probably be fixed just under the cover where the shifting shaft goes in. (Left side, bottom) I don't remember exactly what it was, but I've fixed the same problem before. Take that cover off taking care to not let the shift shaft come off with it and check the operation by putting the shift lever on with the cover off and trying it. You can lean the bike on something over to the right enough so the oil doesn't run out while you do this, but it's better to drain the oil and put it on the centerstand so you can move the rear wheel to help with the engagement of the gears while shifting.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I say if ya got the parts put it together with a fairing, to get rid of one, and sell it!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The shifting issue is most likely either the shift pawls got out of alignment, or a pin went missing form the shift drum.

If you have the parts and patience, I'd put it together and give some one else the chance to tame the beast.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I agree with putting it together as a whole running scoot. You'll like knowing someone else enjoying a fun bike. Also agree with DGXSER on the shifting malfunction.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Plus, the only way to get ride of a fairing is if its on a bike. No one wants to pay to ship those things!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Shipping fairings..

Again I repeat, shipping fairings is cheap and fast. I shipped one from Southern Cantafordya to Omaha, NE for $28.50 and it was there in two days. GREYHOUND
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I don't know about the fairing... But then again, I've never been a fan of them anyway. Maybe that'll be a 'extra' that can go with the bike.

The big hassle will be exhaust; I've got the original Special exhaust off the SG, but it's far less than pristine. Rusty, a few dents, one muffler broken off the head pipe, and a few rust holes appearing in the mufflers. Might be a good time to see how repairing will work out, then paint the whole exhaust with high-heat black. The 'new' '78 has a decent exhaust (Jardine mufflers on the stock head pipes), but these just don't fit the specials very well.

I've got enough 'Hot Rod Flat Black' paint left over from Cheepo Chopper to paint the SG, so it would have a rather evil look
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I'd say you own it now...it's time to put it back on the road, any way you can get it done As I get older I love the stock 78s more and more. When I finish all my projects I hope to just own one nice clean, stock 78......then put a short rear fender under the seat..
                  79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                  80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                  80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                  79 DT 100

Comment

Working...
                  X