Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Bike I Ever Owned

SFV checking in. 1979 XS11 SF

Got my baby back in 1989 for $500 from the original owner. It had less than ten k on the clock and was garage stored. It wasn't running, so I trailered it home and spent a couple of days doing all the little jobs most of us know so well: carb cleaning and synching, battery, fuel lines, brakes, and a lot of stuff that is lost to the mists of time...

She was a daily runner for sixteen years and is now retired to a sedate life of strafing runs through the canyons and backroads two to three times per week. Fun...

Keep rollin' those original bad boys, the superbike of it's day, and maybe we'll meet up at a stoplight somewhere...

The sun is shining so I'm gonna go ride the beast right now...

Comment

Nice

Good looking SF. Do you get to ride the twisties during the week like me?
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Nice bike, but are you sure it's an SF. Seat grab rail is 80 SG, and the side covers look SG as well. Check the frame and engine numbers to verify, dont rely on the rego papers.
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
          Nice bike, but are you sure it's an SF. Seat grab rail is 80 SG, and the side covers look SG as well. Check the frame and engine numbers to verify, dont rely on the rego papers.
          It's a SF. I just parted a SG (well, maybe not... more later), and the sidecovers are different. The reflectors on the down tubes are different too. Plus the taillight/plate being integrated, as the '79 was the only Special where that was true. He's also missing the slotted rotors that came on the '80...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            .. He's also missing the slotted rotors that came on the '80...
            So's mine on the front, but only because some tosser PO crashed it and replaced the entire front end with a '79. Seat grab rail is definately SG, the SF is a simple tube, but then it may have been changed.

One way or 'tuther it doesnt matter to me but I think its still worth checking the numbers.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome to the site. Like everyone else, I lurked for a while and have found this place to be a remarkable storehouse of XSsive info. Can't get much past you guys. Ya seem to know a thing or two about the old 1100s.

The grab rail is from an '80 (PO put it on), but the rest of the bike, except the Kerker, is straight up 1979. That one year the Special was a little bit different from the rest of the Specials. All I know is that I have not changed a thing on the bike because it all worked fine for what I needed.

I look at it frequently with a chopping/cutting/grinding/customizing eye, but it has a certain charm and hotrod cool that makes me happy. So I guess I will just leave her as she is...

Weekdays are the best for riding the twisties here in SoCal. Not as many obstacles, if ya know what I mean.

Comment

Filter

Doesn't that exhaust make changing the filter a little difficult?
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

The "Specials" came out for 1978 as the XS750 and XS650. The XS1100 was a year behind. All share most of the same distinct features. Some of the parts interchange.
                  Last edited by jetmechmarty; 03-04-2011, 03:43 PM. Reason: grammar
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    The "Specials" came out for 1978 as the XS750 and XS650. The XS1100 was a year behind. All share most of the same distinct features. Some of the parts interchange.
                    Also the XS400's as well. As a matter of fact, the XS400 came only as a special in the U.S. at least by 1980, as both the G and SG are just different versions of the special in 1980 (the G was the value model with drum brakes front and rear and wire spoke wheels, the SG had single disk front and drum rear with cast alloy wheels). BTW, even the XS400 uses the same front disk as the 1100 and the same caliper as the left side front standard XS1100.

I understand that the wheels are even drilled and tapped on both sides for the disk, it's just a matter of getting forks with the caliper bracket on both sides.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

The one complaint about the Kerker is that the filter cannot be accessed with out pulling the exhaust. I've yanked the pipes off countless times. Slap on a little Ultra Copper and down the road we go.

When the pipes give up the ghost, I'll weld up a new set, but until then-vroom vroom!

Keep on with the XS science. I like learning all the details that make our bike different and sometimes Special. BTW, I was parking the old XS today and a guy came up to me and said when he was a kid, too young to drive, he had a poster of an XS11 on his bedroom wall. Said he had always wanted one. He eyeballed mine so close that I had to clean the prints off the chrome. Made me smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Shacknasty View Post
                        The one complaint about the Kerker is that the filter cannot be accessed with out pulling the exhaust.
                        I have a Kerker 4-1 system and I can access the oil filter without removing the headers. Just barely enough room to get the cup out.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey Phil, do you have an oil cooler? The thickness of the cooler adapter seems to be the only thing in the way of easing the filter cup out with the exhaust in place. But I ain't complaining...small price to pay for riding my XS!

Comment

Nope, no cooler. It makes sense to me now.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                            X