Battery side covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery side covers

Not having access to any battery side cover, I am wondering if side covers from 78 xs 650/750/850 e's could be modified to fit a 78 1100E?
    Gunnery Sergeant, USMC (Retired), (A gung ho, lifer, Devil Dog) Semper Fidelis
    XS1100E, 11.5" XV1100 shocks, "no name" 4 into 2 headers and turn out mufflers, stock air box, 140 mains, spade type fuse block, volt meter, LED conversion on running/turn/brake/tail lights, aux front driving and running light bar, 850 FD swap, Chrysler electronic VR. Ugly as a monkey's butt - runs like a scalded ape (WHEN IT RUNS)

You can make anything fit anything if you're willing to do enough work...

Would these be an easy mod? Nope... Different shape, and I think the mounting method is different too. The problem with left XS11 sidecovers is finding one that doesn't have the 'lock tab' broke off, as too many people didn't realise that the key was needed to remove these and jerked on them to get them off and busted the tab. If you were willing to remove the lock assembly and install a small fabbed bracket for a screw, finding a cover with the tab gone isn't all that hard.

Sent you a PM...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

That locking tab can easilly be repaired with superglue and baking soda. It's as strong as the original plastic, and is sandable/paintable too.

As for the smaller bikes' covers, I wouldn't try it, but some enjoy that kind of challenge.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        That locking tab can easily be repaired with superglue and baking soda. It's as strong as the original plastic, and is sandable/paintable too..
        That's assuming the tab is still there and only broken on the tip. Most I've seen, the whole tab is gone, so there's nothing to work with...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Not really... You could build the entire tab out of the stuff. As long as you get the right dimensions, it would work fine.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Here's some pics and dimensions to follow. You can use 1/8" acrylic bonded to the broken-off bit with your favourite CA adhesive:

Ken Talbot

Comment

And here's c'bug's drawing:

Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
              X