mixture screws broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mixture screws broken

It's not too hard to understand why my 1100 wasn't idling very well and it started so hard after finally taking the time to completely take apart the carbs. every orifice was either partially or completely caked over. Last time I trust buying carbs from someone who said he "cleaned them thoroughly" Only paid $75 for them so that should have been a clue that they had not been cleaned right? Screw tips are broken off, but I think he knew that too. Tried all the tricks, PB Blaster, brads, picks, freezer. I gave up, gave them to a fellow I know who has a precision machine shop, he's charging me $50 to drill them out. He'll try with a .020 bit first see if the can coax them out before gong to a larger #60 (.04) bit. With that done, can finish cleaning the bodies and put it back together and back on the bike when it warms up. Currently minus 8 degrees!!
    1978 XS1100
    1979 Honda Goldwing

There was a thread just recently, of course I can't find it now either, where someone had used a small bolt with a capnut to pop the needle out from the inside. He had put the bolt inside the carb bell and loosened the capnut to put pressure on the needle and popped it out. Seemed like the best method I have ever seen to get them out!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Here's the thread Show this to your machine shop guy and see if he'll make you a tool.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey thanks. I'll make sure he gets it.
        1978 XS1100
        1979 Honda Goldwing

Comment

I forwarded your link for the tool to extract the broken tip of mixture screws to my guy, he made some changes which seemed to work fine. thought I would send photos of what he did if anyone wants to send me their email. I don't have a photobucket account but I can email the photos to someone if they want to post the photos. Also, If anyone is in need I can mail the tool to you as long as you promise to mail it back. I'm sure I'll need it again for this or another 1100.
          1978 XS1100
          1979 Honda Goldwing

Comment

Sent you a PM
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Photos of the tool Jeff's machinist guy fabricated:

This should do the trick!
              Ken Talbot

Comment

awsome....pm sent
                _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                1980 gs1000g "stock"
                1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Working...
                X