Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem

I'm having a problem figuring out why I don't have headlight or dash lights(are these same circuit ? ) Have gleemed from posts here that it could be one of four things: connections, diode, rlu,relay,fuse(is good)but for the life of me I can't read / trace the witing diagrams I have. Thay are overlaped one on top of the other, Any way I could find diagrams that show one sheet at a time,like, one just for headlamp(dash) circuit, next sheet ignition(and related ) circuit, next sheet running,turn, next sheet stop I'm I being clear, you can tell I know less than nothing about wiring,the diagrams,schematics any help would be more than appreciated thanks Duke

First though, over coffee, is to check your ground connections, and make sure you have continuity all the way to the main frame. Your ground wires are the black ones and you'll find them connected to two way connectors in the head light bucket that evetually lead to a frame connection.

It's a while since ive been in mine so I dont recall exactly where the ground point is, but when i've finished my coffee I'll check the diagrams and post again, unless someone else more knowledgeable chimes in first.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

This might help as well. A schematic of the light circuit on it's own to get rid of all the other confusing unrelated stuff.

1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Hey Duke,

We're going to go back to the fuses. The tail/running lights will work without the headlight coming on, but if they are not on, then there's more problems.

I'm going to guess that your bike has the OEM fuses(GLASS) and holders. The copper clips corrode, loose their tension, etc., and often break, or just don't maintain enough pressure to hold the fuse and provide the power for the circuit. Also, glass fuses can "LOOK" okay, but can still be bad, you really need to take it out, grab and try to twist the ends...often they corrode and come loose. Also take a multimeter and test it for continuity.

Next take the voltmeter and test both sides of the fuse holder for voltage, should have some on the BROWN/Yellow wire side, but with the fuse out, not on the other red wire side.

Let us know what you find.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Eureka

O K I can stop sweating, thanks to the schematic from B. walker5 The advice of TopcatGR58 I how can again ride at night, looking for something hard and it was simple, wire almost broken (three strands holding it ) on back side of main frame fuse block po took each wire and put them in inline holders,right glass oem"s. change that out later this spring with members fuse block, while I'm at it all the conectors too!thanks again B. Walker,Topcat. Duke

Comment

Glad ya got her figured out!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
            X