Help on shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on shocks

I just picked up a 1980 special about 2 months ago I got her running good. WOW what a bike! Very smooth, gotta love it's power and that drive shaft. I'm use to my 77 RD400 and my 70 R5 so I guess that's why it felt great. A good set of shocks for these bikes. I see Kawasaki VN1500's have nice looking shock with air. But don't know of any one using them. I know I can get them cheap from Mike's XS but how are these and where are they made? Also I would like any shock from 11 inches to 13 long most. Any info would be great. thanks

Don't know if you've tried the search feature, here's a recent thread with good info!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=shocks

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks great info, but do you know what country the shocks from mikes xs are made in.

Comment

I would bet China. Send him an e mail and ask him, just don't say it's for an XS11, he gets upset.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The ones from Mikes are Taiwan imports. A number of forum members have/are using these and most have been satisfied with them. One concern with these is they're designed for a much lighter bike, so if you're running a dresser, are 'weight-challenged' , or ride two-up they may not be stiff enough to give good control or prevent bottoming. YMMV on this...

The XJ air shocks are popular if you can find them in decent shape, and if you can afford them the Progressive shocks are the best of the lot.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Has anyone tried the kawasaki vn1500 vulcan shocks? They look nice are 12.5 to 13 inches depending on model (mean streak, classic, or touring) also the touring models are air. take a peek on ebay.

Comment

Just installed a pair of Showa shocks from a Honda vtx1300, which had been recommended somewhere around here. They're 12", which brings that rear fender just a little lower. I was concerned that the tire would hit the under- fender nuts that catch the tailight ass'y bolts upon compression, but that hasn't been happening. I did grind off the bits of bolts that extended past the welded nuts, as the've caught my last tire in the past, esp. riding 2- up. Anyway, these shocks ride better than the originals. Got 'em off ebay for around $80. I'm happy with them.

Comment

Thanks, I've seen vtx shocks for a decent price and they look great. I just didn't know their length. Also I see people using Virago shocks that are 11.5 in length but i would think a 1 inch drop would be too much.

Comment

They might work fine if their stiff enough. Often the problem with shorter shocks is that they are also for lighter bikes and not as stiff, so they are not only shorter, but travel more allowing the bike to bottom out. I like the XJ shocks cause they keep the original length, but I can lower the pressure so it rides lower and softer or I can crank up the pressure to a stiffer and higher ride. You can also lower the front at the same time as the back by brining the fork tubes up a bit in the triples which gives a bigger difference for the same amount of drop and keeps the suspension and steering metrics closer to stock.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Talking about ride height does the fj fork conversion drop the front end at all? Or can you slide the forks up the triple tree to lower it to the stock length? Also does anyone know if the upper steering stem for the fj is the same spread between the forks as any other bike with 41mm forks and with a set of handle bars instead of clip ons? Clip ons look good but you have so many more options with handle bars.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench77 View Post
                      Talking about ride height does the fj fork conversion drop the front end at all? Or can you slide the forks up the triple tree to lower it to the stock length? Also does anyone know if the upper steering stem for the fj is the same spread between the forks as any other bike with 41mm forks and with a set of handle bars instead of clip ons? Clip ons look good but you have so many more options with handle bars.
                      It will drop the ride height about 1" using the clip-on's. If you want to machine the upper triple tree to accept regular handlebars, the forks can be slid down in the UTT an inch, making the ride height pretty close to stock. The forks are spaced further apart in the TT's, so a longer axle and spacers will be required unless you plan on using the FJ front wheel.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                      X