Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wiring the vetter fairing to bike (help pls)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring the vetter fairing to bike (help pls)

I have a wind jammer 4 and I am trying to figure out how to wire certain aspects to my 79 special. I have reviewed the 79 specials wire diag and the vetter diag.

Here is a quick drawing of how it seems to want to go together and the 9-pin connectors I THINK go together.

The fairing and bike sides are matched up to the best of my ability.
    The fairing is missing the 9-pin connector as well as the bike, but I ordered the connectors today. All I need to do is build the 2 harnesses.
    The 2 blocks at the bottom are the arrangements for the 9-pins I will need to put together.
    The fairing running light wires are connected to a single wire that will go into the fairing 9-pin. I suppose the bikes blue wire will need to do the same (2 bullets back to the single bike bullet seat).
    A problem I encountered quickly was the presence of 2 grounds on bike. The turn signal grounds are coming from a double-bullet connector (1 ground wire, 2 seats), and the headlight ground (larger gauge wire).
    3 ports are empty (in case I choose to add the horn and a cig lighter back in.

How do I combine them to a single point in the 9-pin (bike side)?
    Does this picture look right? Sorry it's not a true diagram.
    Last edited by Redshirt; 02-23-2011, 12:09 AM.
    79 Special
    2012 FJR1300
    78 E (project. Clutch problems from PO) Must sell

This may help. http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...r-fairing.html
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

The factory pigtail is just a connector on one end (at the fairing), and loose wires on the other, that end in the headlight bucket. There is a molded heat-shrink kinda thingy that the wires are held in. They each have bullet connectors on them in the headlight bucket to connect to the bike wiring. The reason for this is you want to be able to just disconnect the factory connections on the bike, and plug them into the pigtail without physically altering the wires at all. This allows you to switch back to a fairing-less bike whenever you want.

Some people have to remove the headlight bucket to allow the fairing to fit, and others (like me) have been able to keep the bucket, but remove the headlight itself and cover the bucket with something to contain the wires. I made a drawstring cover out of an old pair of black slacks. I know Vetter sold a black plastic cover that was designed to snap over the bucket as well. I see them on ebay now and then.

I like your diagram BTW.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

When you install your plug, and you CAN get new 9 pin Molex plugs from Radio Shack, put in an "extra" ground wire. The single ground will get hot, as it must carry the current of the total fairing. 16 AWG is the largest that will fit the plug, so two of them will help.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

It also helps to add an additional "always hot" and "keyed hot" to the plug to allow for things like the cig. lighter and a radio. Those wires are already in the headlight bucket anyway, so no need for any crazy extra wiring.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
          X