Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

loking for more agressive looking levers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loking for more agressive looking levers...

think these will work with the xs11.... well mainly the mc....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...Q5fAccessories
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

It doesnt really give any info about the brake lever. It looks like the master cylinder in integrated in it so I would like to know a bit more info about it. I have no doubt that the clutch handle would work but I am just curious about the brake handle.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The main thing to check here is the master cylinder bore; is it big enough? Too small, and you'll find excessive lever travel and maybe not enough hydraulic pressure to stop the bike. The stock unit has a 11/16" bore (about 17.5 mm), going under that by more than 1 mm may cause problems...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

thank i will ASK the seller for the bore size... if it is larger will that still cause problems?
        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

It will up the chances that you will lock up the front wheel when you apply the brakes
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by lee_dutcher View Post
            thank i will ASK the seller for the bore size... if it is larger will that still cause problems?
            A little larger won't be a big deal. However, if you go too large, it will make it really easy to lock up the brakes!
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Those look like what some refer to as "dog leg" levers and are very common on motocross and trials bikes. They are designed to be effective with just two finger operation so the rider can still grip the bar and steer sharply while squeezing the levers, as well as being so short as to help avoid errant objects (such as tree limbs) from striking the levers as you pass by.
              '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

A little larger won't be a big deal. However, if you go too large, it will make it really easy to lock up the brakes!
                sound slike my old cbr 900rr....lol

i only use 2 fingers anyway...im one of those riders that applies his brake really slow so im not warping the rotor and allow me the rider enough time to stop.

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Originally posted by lee_dutcher View Post
                  ... if it is larger will that still cause problems?
                  Larger will need more effort at the lever for the same hydraulic pressure at the calipers. It will also reduce the amount of lever travel, making the brakes 'touchier', so it could cause issues with trying to 'modulate' stopping...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

well on these leavers there are 7 differnt adjustments so i could easly roll and click to my likeing

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Yes, but it will take more pressure to get the same stopping with a larger bore, and a smaller bore will take more travel but give more stopping power for the same hand pressure assuming you have enough travel to fully engage the pads and still clamp down a little more. This is how many hydraulic systems leverage things, moving a small piston a long ways to move a large one a small distance but with far more force than is put in on the input.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Hi Lee,
                        if you just need cranked levers to fit your existing clutch lever perch and front master cylinder, MikesXS sells them at $6.50 each.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                        X