Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock Problems

Ok,
    I dissambled the front face of one of the petcocks off of my 1979 F XS1100 because some gasoline was leaking out of the face plate. When it was apart I noted that there was a circular gasket with 5 holes and a metal washer.

The gasket was in good shape but I noticed that the metal washer is really bent. It looks like it was almost machined this way but I am not certain. Should it be flat? When I put everything back together I no longer have a leak out of the face plate but now fuel flows freely when the petcock is in the ON or RES position even though no vacuum is present? If I remember correctly the gasket should be put back first, then the metal washer on top. Is this correct? Assuming that the washer is supposed to be curved, does it matter what is it's orientation when I put it back inside of the petcock?

Thanks,
    Adam

Yes, the washer is usually known as a "wavey washer" because it pushes the selector handle against the holey gasket. If I have to take the petcock apart, I generally try to gently rebend the washer to ensure that it applies pressure like it is supposed to. There cant be any loss of rubber between the holes or you could get leaks. If there is a defect, you can sometimes rotate the gasket. One of the holes in the standard is not used (I think).
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Ok. Thanks.

As a test I sealed the port leading to the vacuum chamber to see how fuel was flowing when in the ON position with no vacuum.

So, with the vacuum port sealed and the petcock in the ON position fuel STILL flowed, which means it is somehow getting into the bottom port, which leads directly to the fuel line. The only way this can be happening is if the switch is not making good contact with the washer+gasket. When I removed the washer this problem stopped, so it leads me to believe the washer is no good. Is it possible it is to curved?

Adam

Comment

That washer goes between the lever and the outer plate, not behind the lever. Behind the lever it keeps the lever from touching the rubber piece with the 5 holes and so it doesn't seal.

Easy mistake, but you have it in the wrong order. Just put the wavy washer in just before the outer plate and it should be fine.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Oops. Good catch there. That really sucks. I was convinced the petcock needed to be rebuilt and I just spent 60 bucks on rebuild kits.

Oh well.

Adam

Comment

Working...
          X