Front Brake Light Switch Goes Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Brake Light Switch Goes Where?

Ok, Hey everybody it's been almost a year since I last posted, as I was fixin to meet the guys for the West Coast Rally. Quickly, I have not had a front brake light switch for probably close to 12 to 15 years. The mechanic I had would "borrow" things from bikes and put them on others. I discovered this a few times with my bike and before I could confront him (time willing) he took care of the situation and self departed this world. So now the question; I was able to find a brake light switch, but I can't find where the plugs plug into. I have the switch in place, I have taken off the seat, and tank and tried to trace the wires from the taillight, but I just can't find where I am supposed to plug the ends into. I am wondering if this guy clipped the wires and taped them into the big group of wires that run along the frame. Thanks for the help.

Judson
    Judson Crowder
    1979 XS11 F
    2005 BMW R GS1150 Adventure

The connections are in the headlight bucket. I can't say at this point what the wire colors are, but the wires run into the headlight bucket and connect in there somewhere.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Thank you so much. I wish the Clymer Manual had mentioned something about that.
      Judson Crowder
      1979 XS11 F

Comment

The wire colors you're looking for are brown (12v with the key on) and green/yellow, which goes to the brake light.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Complete

When I got the headlight out of the bucket, sure enough, there were two cords with plugs on them and the switch plugs cut off. I pulled out the cut off plugs, put in the new one, and Horraay, I have my front brake light switch back. Thank you.
          Judson Crowder
          1979 XS11 F

Comment

That's quite the mechanic you had there!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeaaaaahhhh, he had me and a bunch of others pretty good. I think the guilt got to him and his failing business (I found out later), and that was why he took care of himself at the shop. I was in LA at the time and was just looking for a Japanese mechanic who seemed fair and nice, and he was a first, I guess things just went down hill. Live and learn.
              Judson Crowder
              1979 XS11 F

Comment

This has to be a joke. Or sad
                79SF
                XJ11
                78E

Comment

No joke, and yes, sad.
                  Judson Crowder
                  1979 XS11 F