Couple of newbie carb questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of newbie carb questions...

hey guys! Question 1: I cant seem to find intake gaskets for the rubber intake boots anywhere. Could I just make my own?

Question 2: When I disassembled my carbs, I removed the black rubber plugs that were covering the pilot jets. Do they have to go back in? They were sealed in there with some type of silicone which was crumbling into pieces.

My bike is a 1980 XS1100 standard. Thanks so much!!

Originally posted by Lucky23 View Post
    hey guys! Question 1: I cant seem to find intake gaskets for the rubber intake boots anywhere. Could I just make my own?

Question 2: When I disassembled my carbs, I removed the black rubber plugs that were covering the pilot jets. Do they have to go back in? They were sealed in there with some type of silicone which was crumbling into pieces.

My bike is a 1980 XS1100 standard. Thanks so much!!
    No gasket is needed for the intake boots. If you want to, you can use high-temp RTV or some folks have used thermostadt gaskets from an old ford.

The black rubber plugs do need to be re-installed. DO NOT use silicone in there though. No sealants of any kind should be used inside the carbs.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Bug has u covered pretty well,
      u can make ur own gaskets or use rtv to
      help seal the intakes to the head,
      and as uve already discovered sticking anything on those
      plugs (make sure u put plugs back in) inside the carbs will cause a mess, make sure u give the carbs a thorough cleaning including the emulsion tubes, if rtv was used on those plugs u can bet itll find its way into every
      little orifice.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Make 'em

If you want the gaskets then make them yourself. These are one of the more simple gaskets on the bike to make.

It is very economical and handy to have a few kinds of gasket material on hand to make a gasket when needed. Also, get yourself a single hole, plyer type hole punch at the office supply store. Invaluable for making those holes in gaskets for the common 6mm bolts that are all over our machines.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

When I put mine on, I just use yamabond on them to seal and have not had any trouble. Any gasket maker on there will do the job just fine, though I would recommend a high temp type since the head can get a little warn under operation.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
          X