Head light problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head light problems

im having problems with my head light. it doesnt seem to want to came on all the time. i know the bulb is good but when the bike is on and running the head light should be on. if i unplug the bulb and using a grounded test light i touch the green wire and then plug the bulb back in it come on but it will not do it on its own. im confused on what to do next ive cleaned the connections and still have this problem. Any one ells run across a problem like this?
    80 XS1100G Black Betty (Daily Driver)
    79 XS1100SF (Buddys Project)
    82 XJ750 Maxim (Fathers Bike)
    81 CB750F SS (Buddys Project)
    06 GSX600F Sold! (Was Mine)
    81 XS1100 Failed Bobber Project (Mine)
    81 XS1100 Parts (Mine)

Grip it, Rip it, and Stick it!!!

Could be a funky reserve lighting unit
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Is the bike running when you have this problem? The XS1100 has to be running before the head light will come on.
      BDF Special
      80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
      Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Mine was the 32 year old headlamp relay causing the same symptoms. I replaced my relay with a common bosch style relay as opposed to the fifty plus dollar one the yamarobber dealer has to sell.
        '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

You can take the relay apart and clean the insides. That helped for me. I found a lot of corrosion inside mine. If you're really careful in the disassembly, you can just re-crimp the edges and put it back together.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
          X