are my signal lights factory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are my signal lights factory?

Hey everyone. I'm having problems with rear turn signals on my 1980 11g. L/side works as should, but when I turn on the R signal, the four ways turn on steady? I figure since the left side works properly and both signals are fed by one set of main wires, it has to be the wires going to that side or maybe the socket,etc.(The socket seems to be very corroded.) I 've been reading prior posts and I'm not sure if rear signals should running and signal lights or single filament turn signals only? Please, if anyone knows I would very much appreciate any help. Thanks, Dave
    1980 xs1100g

Stick should be singal filament 1156 bulbs. Lot of people do change them to running/turn signals but then the lenses MUST be red.

You must have some wires crossed that should not be if they are acting like that. If they are as dirty as you make them sound I would start with cleaning everything and see what comes up on that process first.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

A poor ground on one or more lights will cause that.... check/clean the grounds.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
        A poor ground on one or more lights will cause that.... check/clean the grounds.
        do they use the socket themselves for ground or the one under the fender? Thanks for info
        1980 xs1100g

Comment

Originally posted by dschmitta View Post
          do they use the socket themselves for ground or the one under the fender? Thanks for info
          actually, i've looked at wiring diagrams, i dont have a clue where any of the grounds are except the battery. Please help if can, so i can clean and check them all. thanks, Dave
          1980 xs1100g

Comment

It grounds through the socket, on the socket there will be a small ground strap that goes on a screw that holds the socket in place, that grounds the socket to the signal stem. That then grounds to the fender/frame/triple tree depending on your setup.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              Stick should be singal filament 1156 bulbs. Lot of people do change them to running/turn signals but then the lenses MUST be red.

You must have some wires crossed that should not be if they are acting like that. If they are as dirty as you make them sound I would start with cleaning everything and see what comes up on that process first.
              the left side that works has a nice clean shiny silver socket. the
              R side that doesn't work is pretty corroded.
              1980 xs1100g

Comment

I also stripped out the screw where the strap comes across the base of the bulb. Should i just try to find new marker assembly and wire together or try to work screw loose and clean?
                1980 xs1100g

Comment

The front signals ground through the bracket/lower tree. The rears should have a ground wire that goes under the stem nut, then goes and plugs into a ground wire in the harness. The fronts aren't usually a problem, it's nearly always the rears...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    The front signals ground through the bracket/lower tree. The rears should have a ground wire that goes under the stem nut, then goes and plugs into a ground wire in the harness. The fronts aren't usually a problem, it's nearly always the rears...
                    thanks for the info. much appreciated. just trying to learn as much about bike as possible. i don't see any sense ridin' one unless you know at least enough to help if ya get stranded. not to mention trying to have dealership chase wiring probs at $60 per hour!
                    1980 xs1100g

Comment

not to mention trying to have dealership chase wiring probs at $60 per hour![/QUOTE]

I wish the yamaha dealer here charges $110 per hour!!!
                      '79 XS11SF

Comment

On top of that, I want to know enough to get UNstranded, not stranded.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                        X