Electrical Glitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Glitch

Getting ready to start up for the first time after a re-build. Cleaned and reassembled most electrical connections. When I turned on the ignition key I got the green neutral light and the oil light in addition the starter came on without me pushing the switch. I turned the ignition switch off and nothing happened. The lights and starter continued to run. When I moved the engine kill switch to off everything stopped...just like I turned off the ignition switch. I know that the handlebars are properly grounded. When I removed the starter switch/throttle assembly from the bars and let it hang free, everything works as it should, lights, start switch, ignition on/off everything. Does anybody have a idea what I messed up or what went wrong?????

You probably crushed the starter wire between the switch body and the handlebar. OR, you've got a bare spot on that wire inside the switch. Once the starter solenoid was activated, it backfed the ignition circuit to keep things going merrily along.

Clean up your wiring in there and dress it properly. There are a couple of clamps there to keep things tidy.
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

+1 on Davinci's comment. That's the clear sign of the wire to the starter button being shorted to the bars. Find that and make sure it's not happening anymore and your problem will be solved.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I checked all the wires and everything looked good. I started rechecking all the stuff that I took apart to clean. I turned out that I had the connection to the engine kill switch reversed. Changed it back and everything is back to normal. I hate electrical problems, but it sure feels good when you whip one. Thanks for the help guys, this site is the best.

Comment

That wasn't your problem, the kill switch don't care which wire is where. You more likely cured your stray ground when you re-installed the switch pod. Watch for that problem to return..
          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Thanks for the heads- up. I am going to take it apart again and make sure I get it right. I should have known better to think I could solve a electrical glitch

Comment

Originally posted by whiskey pete View Post
              Thanks for the heads- up. I am going to take it apart again and make sure I get it right. I should have known better to think I could solve a electrical glitch
              When you get enough of them, you eventually get good at 'em.

Wayne
              80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
              Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Working...
              X