Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with front end

Hello all,
    Been a member for a while now and learned much more then i ever imagined, Thanks for all the info. I Have a question about my 81 standard that i picked up a year ago. Need to replace missing left front caliper but not sure if p.o. has changed the front end. Could anyone tell me if the forks are the correct ones for the year or what they are off of.
    Again thanks for all the info, any questions i have been able to find with the search feature.
    Can take more pics if needed just let me know what is needed.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
    Current 1981 xs1100H
    First Bike was 1982 xj550j

hi daf1668,
    yep, your front forks are the standard type.

welcome to the forum.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by daf1668 View Post
      - - - I Have a question about my 81 standard that i picked up a year ago. Need to replace missing left front caliper but not sure if p.o. has changed the front end. Could anyone tell me if the forks are the correct ones for the year or what they are off of. - - -
      Hi Doug and welcome,
      from the photos, most likely the forks are stock.
      There's a slight possibility they may be off a different XS though.
      Check the fork tube diameters.
      XS650 = 35mm
      XS750/850 = 36mm
      XS1100 = 37mm
      As far as finding a leftside caliper, the same one will fit all of the above.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

They look stock but like Fred said could be from something similar. Why are you concerned? What makes you think its been changed?

The front wheel is from an earlier year midnight special but that does not matter.

As for the caliper, when searching for one try and find one that when mounted will have the bleeder port on top. That kind of limits you to front left calipers though. It will make your life a bit easier for bleeding later on.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          They look stock but like Fred said could be from something similar. Why are you concerned? What makes you think its been changed?

The front wheel is from an earlier year midnight special but that does not matter.

As for the caliper, when searching for one try and find one that when mounted will have the bleeder port on top. That kind of limits you to front left calipers though. It will make your life a bit easier for bleeding later on.
          Hi Doug,
          thing is, a whole bunch of Yamaha XS series parts swap between various models like LEGO.
          Some instances that may be relevant to your front end.
          The wheel:-
          The 7-straight spoke cast wheel is common to the XS650/750/850/11/1100. Yours has the gold paint job that says it's off an early Midnight Special which gives it a rarity value if you are swapping parts with someone.
          The calipers:-
          The front calipers on Standards are also common to the XS650/750/850/1100. But they are mirror-images so that only the left caliper will fit on the left fork leg.
          The brake disks:-
          Other than the later model XS1100 disks being slotted, XS650 & XS1100 disks are identical.
          Note that while XS750/850 disks will bolt up to the wheel, those disks have a smaller diameter so that the XS650/1100 calipers won't fully grip them.
          XS650/750/850 complete forks can be installed with some finagling or the fork tubes can be shimmed into the XS1100 triple trees but this is not a good idea as those smaller diameter fork tubes will be even whippier than the stock tubes.
          Finally, the complete XS11 Special fork, 'trees, fender & Weird Harold swiveling calipers will swap onto an XS1100 Standard (and vice-versa) and not change the handling.
          Note that XS11 Special fork legs mounted in XS1100 Standard 'trees will reduce the front wheel's trail and that while us sidecar people do this on purpose, it's dodgy to ride solo like that.
          Last edited by fredintoon; 02-10-2011, 10:47 AM.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Just wasn't sure if they were stock because of the midnight rim on it. Will get out and measure the tubes for verification in the next few days still to cold up here in Michigan to be outside...Come on spring.
            Current 1981 xs1100H
            First Bike was 1982 xj550j

Comment

Actually, speaking of tubes, has the front rim got a "tubeless" casting on it, or a "tube tyre only". Just cos it's gold doesn't mean it's a midnight's wheel.
              79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
              Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
              *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
              *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Working...
              X