Carb air screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb air screw

Hi Folks. I have the 'old style' carbs on my 1979 bike. ie the original XS1100 carbs before they changed them I've been reading (probably too much) about these carbs from various sources but need to verify some conflicting info.

What effect does screwing the mixture srew clockwise (ie screwing it 'in') have? Does it richen the mixture by increasing the amount of fuel going through or does it weaken it.

Just about every carb I've personally known, it richens the mixture when screwed in. Unfortunately, the Haynes manual has nothing about this because we're not supposed to touch them because of emissions (I assume).....
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Yes, that is true. The screw controls the flow of air being mixed with the fuel. Opening (unscrewing) the screw will add more air, leaning the mixture, while closing (screwing in) will reduce air flow, richening the mixture.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Sorry Cat, not so. The idle mixture passage is a fuel passage. Screwing in the screw shuts down that fuel supply.Backing it out increases it . Once backed out so far any additional backing out is irrelevant Fully open is fully open.
      79SF
      XJ11
      78E

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
        Sorry Cat, not so. The idle mixture passage is a fuel passage. Screwing in the screw shuts down that fuel supply.Backing it out increases it . Once backed out so far any additional backing out is irrelevant Fully open is fully open.
        To explain further. This passage gets its fuel from the pilot jet circuit. Because it is in front of the butterfly, at closed throttle it feels the vac of the intake much more than the 3 pilot orifices so the effect of the screw interfering with the fuel is greatly magnified thus the effects on idle mixture at closed throttle. When the butterfly's open it becomes just another pilot jet supply port. All the fuel in this passage is mixed with air from the pilot air jet
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

And to add to that....

Once your idle mixture screw is so far out it has no effect, if you are still to lean then it is time to go up one step on the pilot jet.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Pilot

Wouldn't you change the C clip setting first?
            mack
            79 XS 1100 SF Special
            HERMES
            original owner
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
            SPICA
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
            IOTA
            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
            Frankford, Ont, Canada
            613-398-6186

Comment

No, the c-clip has no affect at idle, it kicks in during the transition from idle to mains.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

regret

Ya , as soon as I clicked send I realized my mistake. That happens at 2500 rpm?
                mack
                79 XS 1100 SF Special
                HERMES
                original owner
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                SPICA
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                IOTA
                https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                Frankford, Ont, Canada
                613-398-6186

Comment

Isn't it somewhere around 4ish turns out where you need to change pilots?
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                    2500-3500 ish
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

When to change jets all depends, I know some folks who have run with their mix screws 5 turns out. Some like it under 4 or even 3.

I would agree that if your already 5 turns out and see no improvement or very little, then I would no doubt about it jump the jets up.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
                        Oops... Thanks for the correction...
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

sorry for the hijack... but what if the needle is screwed in to far and the needle tip is jammed inside
                          _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                          1980 gs1000g "stock"
                          1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                          2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Just about every carb I've personally known, it richens the mixture when screwed in. Unfortunately, the Haynes manual has nothing about this because we're not supposed to touch them because of emissions (I assume).....
                            lol....................
                            _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                            1980 gs1000g "stock"
                            1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                            2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                              Actually it's not really RPM based, but rather airflow based, which while having some relation to RPM, is really more the throttle setting, as if you open the throttles all the way, the slides move up sooner. It's actually IIRC about 1/3 that the mains really start to kick in, and by about 2/3's or so your mostly on the mains. This is at least as I understand how CV carbs work.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X