Building a XS1100 Racer.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a XS1100 Racer.......

Hi there guys. I'm considering putting together a racing XS1100 and I'd like your input to the design. The bike when built will be campaigned in the Classic Superbike Championship in South Africa. The base bike that will be used is a 1981 Yamaha XS 1100 SH Special.

It will be piloted by multiple South African Superbike Champion and Springbok racer, Gavin Ramsay.

The general specification for the bike has already been drafted for preliminary costing / resource acquisition purposes, but I would like to invite all the members on this thread to participate in the establishment of the complete specification - with me - to be followed during the build. This thread will be posted in both the UK and USA forums at the same time, with a request to the Australian forum members that want to participate, to use either the UK or USA forums. Ultimately, with meaningful participation, and at the conclusion of these threads, there should exist a complete ‘how-to’ in building a world class Yamaha XS 1100 racer. To conclude, if / when built, the bike will proudly wear the ‘colours’ of the UK, USA and Australian forums.

The start point will be the Rules for the class - included below - that will form the baseline for the discussions. Please take a minute to read through the Rules, to familiarize yourself with the rules, before posting your input.

[hr]

CLASSIC SUPERBIKES REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RULES

The purpose of these rules are to match the performance of motorcycles from different periods by specifying various levels of engine capacity, modifications, suspension and ability on the race track. This should result in a variety of different models competing on equal terms resulting in the declaration of a single Classic Superbike Champion.

1) General Rules
    NOTE: What is not specifically permitted is disallowed.
    i. Exhaust systems can be modified or replaced and must be fitted with a silencer.
    ii. Air cleaners and air boxes can be removed or replaced with aftermarket units.
    iii. Oil catch tanks must be fitted if the air box is removed. (refer to SSR 70)
    iv. Steel braided brake hoses may be fitted.
    v. Any type or make of brake pads may be fitted.
    vi. Tyres must be standard road going tyres as imported by a recognised importer and be readily available to the public. Slicks are not permitted.
    vii. Chains and sprockets are unrestricted.
    viii. Headlights, taillights, indicators and surplus wiring may be removed.
    ix. Steering dampers may be fitted.
    x. Spark plugs are open.
    xi. Lock wiring of sump plugs and front and rear brake caliper mounting bolts is required.
    xii. Oil filter housings or spin on filters must be lock wired or clamped.
    xiii. Oil coolers are permitted.
    xiv. Side and centre stands must be removed.
    xviii. Tyre warmers are not permitted.

2) Rider And Motorcycle Details
    iii. It is the rider’s responsibility to notify the Technical Committee of any modifications made to his/her motorcycle (or spare motorcycles), which involve structural changes to the frame, swing arm, wheels, front fork yokes, and custom brackets used to mount brake calipers, and to ensure that these are recorded in the scrutineering book.

3) Eligibility Of Motorcycles
    i. A member of the Technical Committee must inspect motorcycles before it can compete in Classic Superbike racing.

4) Categories For Classic Superbikes
    i. Standard Production Motorcycles (1982 – 1985)
    ii. Modified Production Motorcycles (up to and including 1981)
    iii. Modified Production Motorcycles Classic 400 (1985 – 1999) 400cc four strokes and 250cc two strokes.

6) Modified Production Motorcycles (Class B)
    i. Engine
    a) Maximum capacity allowed is 1170 cc (*Proposed amendment for 2011 - Maximum capacity allowed is 1200 cc – not ratified at this point).
    b) Any engine modifications are allowed.
    c) Carburetors for 4 valves per cylinder engines must be 34 mm CV carburetors, for 2 valves per cylinder engines, the carburetors can be changed to round slide or smooth bore types of any size. Flat slide or Electron carburetors are not allowed. The carburetors may be modified.
    d) The engine must look the same as the original from the outside.
    e) Crash brackets and aftermarket covers can be used.

ii. Frame And Body Work
    a) The standard frame must be used but it can be braced and gusseted.
    b) Body work may be replaced with aftermarket racing kits but must have the same silhouette as the original motorcycle.
    c) Any swing arm may be used and it can be braced or reinforced, but must conform to 3.5 below.
    d) Custom footrests, brackets and levers may be used.
    e) Any handlebars may be used as long as they are deemed to be safe and from the period.
    f) The original seat must be retained, but the padding can be shaped to suit the rider.

iii. Suspension
    a) The original front forks and yokes must be used. Forks can be interchanged between different models of the same make from the same period. (* Proposed amendment for 2011 - Any forks and yokes may be used but up side down forks are not permitted – not ratified at this point*).
    b) Internal fork components can be changed or modified. Front fork braces are allowed
    c) Any rear shock absorber may be used. The mounting points on the frame and swing arm can be changed or moved as long as the original look of the bike is maintained. Twin shock models cannot be converted to monoshock.

iv. Wheels And Tyres
    a) 17 inch rims may be used.
    b) The rim width may be increased to suit larger section tyres. Alternatively, wider wheels from a different model may be used.
    c) Tyres are limited to maximum 120 for the front and 160 for the rear, subject to clause 6 of the General Rules.

v. Brakes
    a) Brake calipers can be changed to four piston calipers. Mounting brackets must be approved by the Technical Committee.
    b) Brake calipers must be fitted to the mountings on the standard forks. Brackets may be used to adapt them.
    c) The standard master cylinder may be replaced with a unit with a remote reservoir.

vi. Electrical
    a) Alternators, starter motors and batteries may be removed or changed.
    b) Any ignition system and coils may be used.

vii. Eligibility Of Motorcycles
    a) All motorcycles built up to and including 1981.
    b) The Technical Committee must approve motorcycles.

[hr]

This is the Rod Gray racer built, competed and won the South African F1 Championship back in 1982. This is a recent photo taken at one of the Classic bike events in South Africa.

Below are another two examples of XS1100 racer elsewhere in the world. These examples are built against different rules, but serves as inspiration for this build.

The BIG 3.
    '78 Yamaha XS 1100 E (one standard / one modified)
    '92 Suzuki GSXR 1100 N
    '06 Suzuki GSF 1200 S Bandit

Keep us posted, I can't wait to see more. As for building ideas, I'd start off by doing pretty much all the mods noted in the Yamaha race notes featured on the UK site; dual plug heads with timing adjusted, 4-2-1 exhaust with the 2-3 1-4 matching, crank case mod, ob
    Last edited by 81xsproject; 02-09-2011, 08:47 AM.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

...crank case mod, port work, etc. Some sort of over bore to get to 1200 cc, as well as some on of the varieties of race carbs VM39, RS..., etc. Chain drive also seems in order. You may also consider some sort of fully programmable ignition system might really help get it fully tuned as well.

Sorry for the double post. Ran out of edit time. One of the down falls of not having special privileges any more.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

'81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Can a chain mod be used according to the rules? I know it doesnt apwcifically rules them out but the rules sort of push towards stock looking. Would be good for rwhp if allowed though!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

First thing I can see is you will need the STANDARD front forks. NO WAY you can put good brakes on the Special mounts! Other than that, go for it! I know my crank for the '78 cost me $850 US, but it's balanced to 14,000 RPM! With good valve springs I should be able to turn close to 10K with little or no problem.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              First thing I can see is you will need the STANDARD front forks. NO WAY you can put good brakes on the Special mounts! Other than that, go for it! I know my crank for the '78 cost me $850 US, but it's balanced to 14,000 RPM! With good valve springs I should be able to turn close to 10K with little or no problem.
              An underbucket shim set up will facilitate that, but I have only heard of one person doing it and he was unable to tell me HOW it had been accomplished. He did tell me it would spin to 10k with ease though.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Thank you guys for the good response!

81xsproject - Thank you, I already have the full set of notes, and I have already spoken to the engine builder to use it extensively, as a start point. I think we will start off with a mildly ported / more just matched, standard head with a mild cam, but I have another head that I want to mod to 8 plugs. I will also start off with the same exhaust as the Rod Gray bike which is a Bassanni, but I can have a special one fabricated, and perhaps will do. Yes, we will run the larger of the Wiseco kits, but the later flat slides are not allowed, so the best I could do is to get a set of old 33mm Smoothbore Mikuni's. Definitely chain drive, and here I was thinking the unit that was developed by one of this forums members. It looks like a well engineered and strong unit. When going to the 8 plug head I will need to get a programmable ignition system as the timing advance would change somewhat.
                Natemoen - Yes, the bike will run a chain, and yes, it is allowed for, in the rules for the XS.
                DiverRay - Ammendments to the rules (for 2011) have been tabled that will allow more modern forks provided they are right-side-up. I am getting a set of FZR 1000 forks, which will be modified internally. The engine builder will balance the crank / rods / pistons. We will employ under bucket shims on modified valve springs to control the valve float at high rpm. However the basis of the motor would be more midrange than top end. A few Kawaski models utilize a under bucket shim arrangement that will fit on the XS.
                The BIG 3.
                '92 Suzuki GSXR 1100 N

Comment

definitely going to be watching this thread.....
                  _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                  1980 gs1000g "stock"
                  1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                  2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Here comes the first meaty question....... How much forward can I shift the swingarm pivot point that will still allow me to remove the motor out the frame? The bike will be fitted with a aluminium swing arm, and in this case a swing arm out of a watercooled Suzuki GSXR 750. It needs to be shortened and modified to take dual shocks.
                    The BIG 3.
                    '92 Suzuki GSXR 1100 N

Comment

You should be able to move the pivot about 1.5". As you are allowed to gusset the frame, I would look at the stock engine mount points, see what will need to clear, and maybe replace the down tubes with removable parts. If you did that, you should be able to get the pivot almost to the center of the front sprocket. I am thinking that is what you want to do.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

DiverRay from just looking at it seems a little more than 1.5inches to more around 2 to 3 inches. However it still needs more investigation, that is if the front down tubes are not made to be removed, which I would not like to do to to the loss of stiffness.

The next big question is related to the front end set-up. As part of the stiffening of the top loop of the frame and head stock, I want to loosten the top of the head stock and reset it (I thought) about 2 degrees from 29 to 27. Then to work the trial distance down from 130 to ? This is now the second important question. Any thoughts guys?
                        The BIG 3.
                        '92 Suzuki GSXR 1100 N

Comment

I wish I could help, but this is a bit over my head!
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

8 plug head

Comment

Can you just add in another set is coils to the stock system to run the other plugs (like a dual tower coil per cylinder wire into the original system) or do you need to set up a whole different ignition system for it?
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X