turn signal switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn signal switch

Took the old resurrected out for a spin today and found that the switch for the blinkers doesn't work. The 4 way flashers does work and I am getting power to everything but can't do a simple turn signal. So the last part to be replaced is the switch.

Can someone point me in the right direction or maybe you have one for the XJ 1100 Maxim.

thanks in advance.
    man was it cold riding today. We started the day at 34 but it felt much colder.

deo
    82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
    Riding with the Son

If the signals work when you hold the switch to one side or the other, it is the canceller unit. It is a black, rubber mounted thing on top of the frame. (Under the seat?) At least that is the problem I once had on an 81H.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

turn signals

On my '80 xs1100 std the 4 way hazards worked but the turn signals would come on but not flash. I fixed it by replacing the existing flasher unit (located on the right side near the fuse block) with a universal aftermarket electronic flasher ($7 at pep boys). There are three connections on the original unit and only 2 on the aftermarket, but it does work, you just have to hook up the two correct wires (trial and error worked for me). I've also seen others post that grounding was the problem, so you should take a look at that too.

Comment

Hey there Dave,

When I worked on your bike, your flashers wouldn't work, the old flasher was shot. I put a standard flasher on it, but I had to switch 2 wires in the plug, it was wired different on the XJ than on the XS, but they were working when I got done!! Check to see if that plug/flasher unit came loose. The Emergency flashers are a separate flasher unit, and separate power supply line from the turn signals.

Also, you said you had taken your WindJammer style fairing off since it got all busted, and some of the wires might have gotten crossed or mixed!? Also, the turn signal switch can get corroded and such, you might first try taking it apart and checking it for such, as well as some possible busted solder joints, then you can check the wires for power while you've got it apart with a multitester!! Good Luck.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X