Midnight fenders on a Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midnight fenders on a Standard?

I am restoring a 79 Standard. Everything on the bike is Black except the rear fender which is chrome and dented.
    If I find a midnight Special fender will it fit the Standard frame? I am willing to do SOME modification if necessary, but I want it to look like it was supposed to be there.
    Anybody??
    TIA
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

No, a special fender will not fit on standard forks. However, if you change your forks to special forks, you'll need a special fender.

That really bit me in the arse when I switched my standard back to standard forks from specials - had to get new fender and new brake calipers.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Huh... I think he meant REAR fender, Snow!!

Comment

....lol, yeah, i think you are correct sir
        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Re: Midnight fenders on a Standard?

Originally posted by newmaac
          I am restoring a 79 Standard. Everything on the bike is Black except the rear fender which is chrome and dented.
          If I find a midnight Special fender will it fit the Standard frame? I am willing to do SOME modification if necessary, but I want it to look like it was supposed to be there.
          Anybody??
          TIA
          You’d be better off painting a standard fender black. A rear fender from the Special different, the 2 main boltholes will match up but the pivot pin isn’t there and the taillight holes are different.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Hey Geez waz up!! Where ya been? On the fender thing... If you fill the dent you got to paint it anyway!!
            Garry
            '79 SF "Battle Cat"
            outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

No, Special fenders (front or rear) do not fit on Standards. The ignition box mounts on a Standard fender and not on a Special. The tail light units are much different.

Scuff it up good with 220, fill any dents, and prime with a good bare metal primer, then paint. Oven baking helps.

I powder coated my front and rear fenders and it has held up well.
              DZ
              Vyger, 'F'
              "The Special", 'SF'
              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
              X