Slime in the breather rake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slime in the breather rake

Last night I decided to clean up the airbox on the XJ11 and gave it a good scrubbing. I unscrewed the two sections & unscrewed the white plastic "rake" inside the airbox that attaches to the crankcase breather tube & has a nipple that goes into each intake boot. For the heck of it I ran hot tap water through the large breather tube opening in the rake & expected to see 4 outflows with each the same height.

Instead I found a couple of the outputs weren't flowing but a little bit & one was higher than the rest. There was some whitish/yellow spoo coming out of one of the holes. I saw bunches of this slimy stuff in the sink & gave a good shake to the rake into the sink & bunches of this stuff flung out. It took 5 minutes of flushing with hot water & flinging to finally get all of it. It had to be from the crankcase & must have filled the bottom of the rake & the hot water loosened it.

I just bought this bike late last fall so I have little history to go along with it. What was that stuff & what would cause that stuff to be in there?

Idears?
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

It's the cranks breather so I am guessing its a oil water mix. Could be some bacteria as well that fed on the oil.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      It's the cranks breather so I am guessing its a oil water mix. Could be some bacteria as well that fed on the oil.
      There's some amazing bacteria out there that can eat & live in unimaginable ways so maybe... I felt the stuff and it was not terribly slick, definitely not gritty but wasn't like whipped cream made from oil. No strong odor, just the crankcase kind of oily odor, not unusually strong at all.

It was really impressive how much of this spoo came out of that "rake", almost like it was full to the top of this stuff and had I not out of curiosity felt impelled to flush it out with hot water from the tap, I'd never have known all that was in there. It had to be a real barrier to crankcase respiration.

That's one of the nice things about a winter break, I can go over this bike and do so much to making it right, checking out in detail all the little things I find that may not be in great shape.
      82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

That's from the bike being ridden on short hops and never getting really fully warmed up. Oil vapor plus condensation equals whitish goo.

I had a car that would get that goo on the last 6" of the dipstick in the winter, as that part didn't get as warm as the rest of the motor.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          That's from the bike being ridden on short hops and never getting really fully warmed up. Oil vapor plus condensation equals whitish goo.

I had a car that would get that goo on the last 6" of the dipstick in the winter, as that part didn't get as warm as the rest of the motor.
          Ah.

I remember a car that had a head gasket leak with water getting into the oil & it made a whitish bubbly goo. The stuff coming from within the rake was really pure with no bubbly. I never considered an airhead to have an issue with water in the oil but what you said makes sense.

I remember hearing that mufflers suffer from short trips that don't get the muffler fully hot in that condensation within them causes rusting. Guess this is the same principle but with the vapors from the engine being trapped in the "rake".

Thanks for the info!

Comment

I've had the exact same thign happen before, from idling it up in the garage but not riding in cold weather. Blew a glob of white stuff out the tube like it was prom night or something. Never happened in warm weather or since I finished tuning and only ride in the winter.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              I've had the exact same thign happen before, from idling it up in the garage but not riding in cold weather. Blew a glob of white stuff out the tube like it was prom night or something. Never happened in warm weather or since I finished tuning and only ride in the winter.
              So, when you going to admit your probably not going to sell they bike? Although I know you might be required to keep it on the market for the sake of peace in the family.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

After 20 years of living with the same SWMBO (married to her also.) I've learned that it is easiest to say nothing at all, just let things happen, or not happen.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Good old forum

It's always nice when you've been away from the forum for a while and you come back and realize almost every answer you've ever wanted is here. Now I don't have to ask questions about that white goop or start a new thread with these pictures I took:

As you can probably guess, I found this stuff while working on my starter. Now I'll have to go up through the rest of the airways and get it out. Guess a winter full of 2 mile rides will do this to a bike. Questions:
                  1. Am I going to need to change my oil too since this stuff is in the crankcase?
                  2. Is there anywhere else I need to look closely at and do something for after a winter of short rides where the bike never fully warmed?

TIA guys. Great to be around.
                  1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
                  2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

Really you wouldn't even need to go through and clean all the stuff out. As for the oil just go Cy the old addage, three months or three thousand miles, if either apply change it, it not take it out for a good long ride to get it nice and hot and get ride of the moisture.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I gotta tell you I was stunned how much of that spoo was inside the "rake" it seemed like it would never stop coming out. All of the tubes were plugged so the crankcase ventilation was horrible & considering the normal pressure buildup & then the pressure from so much gas in the oil because of a bad octopus & float bowl valves, I'm amazed the seals didn't blow or worse.

Maybe 7-10 tablespoons of the stuff came outta there..

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        Really you wouldn't even need to go through and clean all the stuff out. As for the oil just go Cy the old addage, three months or three thousand miles, if either apply change it, it not take it out for a good long ride to get it nice and hot and get ride of the moisture.
                        Oh goodness, I don't even remember the last time I went more than 10 miles at a time...no wonder there is so much crud. I know what I am doing this evening

Comment

Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
                          Oh goodness, I don't even remember the last time I went more than 10 miles at a time...no wonder there is so much crud. I know what I am doing this evening
                          Dude, you need to take it out for a good run every once in a while. I try to go out for at least a 50 to 75 miler at least once a month all year round. Do more than that during the nice parts of the year, but I feel its important to get it out and get the oil good and hot at least one a month to get the crud boiled out of it. I've got a pretty standard minimum run I do every month if I'm not able to get out and do something more ambitious.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

hi draketrumpet
                            thats one rusty looking starter motor,
                            did u pull that out of the engine like that?
                            or has it been sitting outside?

id definately be changing ur oil.
                            pete

new owner of
                            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                            zrx carbs
                            18mm float height
                            145 main jets
                            38 pilots
                            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post

hi draketrumpet
                              thats one rusty looking starter motor,
                              did u pull that out of the engine like that?
                              or has it been sitting outside?

id definately be changing ur oil.
                              Haha, no that is not rust, but yes I pulled it out of the engine like that. With the starter, you may recall, that most of it is just under a plastic cover, and only the end with the gears are in the engine.

What you see as rust is Oklahoma dirt...it's everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X