Aftermarket seat options?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ThrottleJunky
    replied
    I find eBay terribly annoying because it's just loaded with shill bidding. I've been checking out bid history on items, and in certain instances the same user continues to raise the bid when nobody else is bidding. eBay does nothing about it. I think shill bidding is actually against the law, but not enforced.

    Leave a comment:


  • Elevener
    replied
    Originally posted by shadowman
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...tem5d2b306e77#
    Well I was slightly interested till I saw $79.99 shipping.

    Leave a comment:


  • shadowman
    replied
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...tem5d2b306e77#

    Leave a comment:


  • Aches n Pains
    replied
    Do you think the Sportster or Dyna seat would fit on an XS750 (not the Special)?

    Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • ThrottleJunky
    replied
    Nevermind. I think your orange is my red.

    Leave a comment:


  • ThrottleJunky
    replied
    Originally posted by xs11lover
    You have to pull some of the staples out of the bottom of the pan and cut some of the pan off. I used a dremal. After that I made a tab to fit the seat mount on the frame. I drilled a hole in the fender to bolt the rear of the seat down. You can also bolt the pan to the frame, if you want to go that far with it.
    The black special has a dyna seat on it.
    This orange xs has a seat from an 883 sportster cut the same way. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE WITH A SQAURED OFF FRONT NOT A TRIANGLE. They won't ever fit the tank right, I know it's alot of work...but there just isn't anything much you can get.
    Which seat is it on that red Midnight Special? I like the looks of that. The only problem is I have the Standard.

    Leave a comment:


  • crazy steve
    replied
    Originally posted by ThrottleJunky
    Here's the thread and the seat. It's a Sportster seat, and the bike is a Special, but it might not look too bad on my Standard.

    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26824
    I suggested a Dyna seat because they hang down a bit more on the sides (fitting a bit tighter to your sidecovers) and are a bit wider too. Most of the aftermarket seats use metal pans (Mustang, LePera, Corbin do for sure) and would be harder to modify.

    Leave a comment:


  • xs11lover
    replied
    You have to pull some of the staples out of the bottom of the pan and cut some of the pan off. I used a dremal. After that I made a tab to fit the seat mount on the frame. I drilled a hole in the fender to bolt the rear of the seat down. You can also bolt the pan to the frame, if you want to go that far with it.
    The black special has a dyna seat on it.
    This orange xs has a seat from an 883 sportster cut the same way. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE WITH A SQAURED OFF FRONT NOT A TRIANGLE. They won't ever fit the tank right, I know it's alot of work...but there just isn't anything much you can get.


    I did see some cafe bench seats on Ebay from Koria.........they didn't look too bad but shipping was high.
    This guy in LA was selling nice seat's on Craigs list. I saved a pic, but would have to hunt down his contact info.

    Leave a comment:


  • oldyam80sg
    replied
    I could be wrong but that Harley seat looks like something Corbin makes as I had a Corbin on my ZRX.It didn't look like that but they do make aftermarket seats.

    Leave a comment:


  • SFSPECBIKER79
    replied
    harley seat

    i purchased that type seat on ebay last summer, tried on my xs11 and if you notice it doesent fit correctly around the tank. and big gap between seat and frame at front. looks nice on pics, but no so nice live, i sold mine to a member here. he seemed to like very much. but i went back to stock. my 2 cent

    Leave a comment:


  • ThrottleJunky
    replied
    Originally posted by crazy steve
    If your going to try a HD seat, I think a OEM take-off from a Dyna would probably be closest to fitting. The factory seat pans are plastic on most models, so some 'reshaping' is possible with some heat...
    Here's the thread and the seat. It's a Sportster seat, and the bike is a Special, but it might not look too bad on my Standard.

    Leave a comment:


  • crazy steve
    replied
    Originally posted by ThrottleJunky
    I actually just found a thread where a guy put a Harley seat on his bike, and it looked sweet. I'm gonna pick up a used Harley seat and make it work on my bike.
    If your going to try a HD seat, I think a OEM take-off from a Dyna would probably be closest to fitting. The factory seat pans are plastic on most models, so some 'reshaping' is possible with some heat...

    Leave a comment:


  • ThrottleJunky
    replied
    Originally posted by crazy steve
    I contacted this seller, and total price to the US would have been about $260. Which isn't all that bad considering what good used seats are going for or what it would cost you to have a custom seat made. The fly in the ointment? He's only offering seats for the E/F models at this time.

    One thing to remember is the seat pans are the same whether it's a 'touring' seat or not, so you can always strip your seat and redo it into whatever you want. Any decent upholstery shop can do this...
    $260 shipping is less than I thought. But still, that's a bit much. I'm going to take a picture of the bottom of my seat pan, and ask you guys if it is, indeed, the original, or if Mayer seats used something different.

    Leave a comment:


  • ThrottleJunky
    replied
    I actually just found a thread where a guy put a Harley seat on his bike, and it looked sweet. I'm gonna pick up a used Harley seat and make it work on my bike.

    Leave a comment:


  • crazy steve
    replied
    Originally posted by ThrottleJunky
    The shipping would likely be astronomical.
    I contacted this seller, and total price to the US would have been about $260. Which isn't all that bad considering what good used seats are going for or what it would cost you to have a custom seat made. The fly in the ointment? He's only offering seats for the E/F models at this time.

    One thing to remember is the seat pans are the same whether it's a 'touring' seat or not, so you can always strip your seat and redo it into whatever you want. Any decent upholstery shop can do this...

    Leave a comment:

Working...