Brake Fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Fluid?

I have a question that hopefully can be answered here regarding types of brake fluid. My buddy is building a CB750 and he has an uncle who will give him some brake parts of a H-D. My concern is that the H-D parts are designed for DOT 5 fluid yet the CB system used DOT 3. I have read the thread regarding brake fluid in the maintenance section, however can't get a definitive answer.

My question is, if one were to completely rebuild the brake system; calipers,masters,and new hoses; would my friend be able to run either of the three DOT 3,DOT 4,or DOT 5 as long as he stayed with that fluid?

I know that some natural rubbers will deteriorate if they come in contact with silicon and petroleum products, but will DOT 3 or 4 deteriorate rubbers designed for silicon fluids?

It could, but the seal and rings may be designed to withstand both. You would need to find out what its meant to withstand.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I had a similar problem establishing what fluid to use. I use dot 5.1 on my rebuilt brakes. The way I see it... the hoses are new, the caliper seals are new, the master cylinder seals are new..... and they are most probably made of an entirely different substance from that used in the 1970's and 80's. I doubt they have any rubber in at all these days. Same goes for O rings and things.

I've had Dot 5.1 in mine for a year and I recently drained the fluid and checked everything. There is no degradation of any parts that I can detect. No leaks, no soft seals. That's after a year. So, I intend to continue using it.....
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

You can run Dot 5 if you have a complete new system but it will gel up if there was Dot 3 or Dot 4 in there first.
        You would never want to use a Dot 3 or Dot 4 in a system that was intended for Dot 5 ,then you would find the 3 and 4 eating the seals.

Unless DOT 5 is recommended by the brake manufacturer and comes with it new, just run the highest boiling point glycol-based fluid you can find. It's cheap and it'll perform better and all you have to do is change it once or twice every couple years or so.

There is a Dot 5.1 that can be used with Dot 3 or Dot 4 ( all three glycol-based) but never use it with Dot 5 which is silicone based.

You might find Dot 5 a little spongy compared to the Dot 3 or 4. There are a few guys here using Dot 5 and like it , but it's like comparing tires ,oil and air pressure everyone will have their own opinion.
        Mine is go with what the system was designed to use.
        Last edited by tinman905; 01-29-2011, 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Harley has gone back-and-forth between DOT 3, 4, and 5 fluid in the last 15 years or so, but the rebuild kits for their brake components haven't changed so I'd say you won't have any worries with the seals. Just don't mix DOT 5 with anything else...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...