Stearing Dampner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stearing Dampner

Has anyone mounted one of these on thier XS?

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servl...m-Total/Detail

Page down to see the photo
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

If you don't already have a fork brace, a steering damper won't be much help...

Buy a fork brace first, as that will help more.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Have had a TCAT for about 5 years. It made a big difference. Was thinking the dampener might just up the handling a little
      wingnut
      81 SH (Daily Ride)
      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

What sort of symptoms are you having with the steering? A steering head that is adjusted too tight can cause some pretty annoying steering issues.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servl...m-Total/Detail

Page down to see the photo
          Hi Wingnut,
          no, but I have one of these:-
          http://www.werproducts.net/WER-Steering-Damper.html
          on my XS11SG.
          It works just great for a sidecar rig and it can hardly be seen, unlike the tubular dampers.
          Not that I was willing to pay the appalling sticker price, luckily Dennis Kirk was offering them at 75% off.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yes, I had one on an XS1100. They do make a difference but the problem with this type of damper is where to mount the end that fits to the frame. There used to be a kit (which could easily be fabricated) which was a metal plate that bolted onto the side of the oil cooler using the two rubber-bushed mounting holes. The plate had a threaded bar sticking out and you fixed one end of the damper to it using a ball joint. I saw one on eBay a few months ago.

I've heard some people say that the repeated force of the steering on the kit eventually made the lug break off which is welded to the downtube of the frame cradle, although this didn't happen with mine. It certainly made the oil cooler wiggle slightly when the steering was turned and I didn't really like that. The oil cooler sits in a metal frame which is attached to the lug on the cradle and this little frame flexed slightly as well. They do look a bit ungainly when fitted, I found.
            Last edited by James England; 01-24-2011, 03:16 AM.
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Ken other than a slight shimmy at about 120mph. I was doing a high speed run when down in FLA last winter and it was noticeable enough to make me back off, which was a good thing I guess. Other than that I really don't have an issue so I really can't justify the price. The steering head on my 81 is set up correctly by every thing I have read and the taper bearings are new and properly lubed and torqued. I was curious as to if others had found the part useful and how they mounted it. Thanks for the reply
              wingnut
              81 SH (Daily Ride)
              81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Steering dampeners are nice. I got one from eBay, nearly new off a GSX r 1000 for <$20 shipped. Haven't installed it yet, but I've ridden XJ11 with one and it was sweet.
                1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

I have one installed on my 78 modified bike. It went on easy enough with the aid of a small bracket that I made to receive the body mounting bolt. Your also going to need a 2 piece fork tube clamp.

It went on like this.

Rob
                  KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Rob thanks for the pictures. If I go with this I'm going to have to fab some brackets that's for sure. Not having the oil cooler I'll just extend some steel or aluminum stock from the existing mount hole in the frame. I have a spare lower tree, think it will take a hole drilled and a stud mounted without developing a crack? There is a space out next to the tube mount that could be made to work.
                    wingnut
                    81 SH (Daily Ride)
                    81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Rob thanks for the pictures. If I go with this I'm going to have to fab some brackets that's for sure. Not having the oil cooler I'll just extend some steel or aluminum stock from the existing mount hole in the frame. I have a spare lower tree, think it will take a hole drilled and a stud mounted without developing a crack? There is a space out next to the tube mount that could be made to work.
                      Make your bracket or brakes out of steel. It's cheap, easy, fast and strong. I don't think your going to get the damper up much closer then you see in the photo because of the brake lines and harness. You want the damper as close to flat as possible. The under side of the lower tree is not very flat and does not offer much in the way of a good mounting position and in any case would put the damper right where the harness and brake lines are positioned. Even in my set up the harness is "just" lightly contacting the top of the damper. Mounting was easy but final adjustment was tricky. Starting with the forks in their straight position, find a place that works and have the damper in the middle of its travel. Mount and test for binding and proper travel without bottoming or topping out the unit. Where mine is mounted the total movement of the arm is only about 1 inch. Kitty corner as seen is apparently the ideal set up.
                      HTH
                      Rob
                      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...