Hi RPM issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi RPM issue

I had a 79 standard that blew up. I've been looking and found a very clean 81 Venturer. Everything is there and works except the gas guage.

I picked it up and rode it home. It was running ok when I got it but when I stopped 2 hours later, the RPMS would not come down below 4 K. Any ideas, I would love some advice on a checklist to trouble shoot this.

PO stated that the carbs and boots were redone within the year and resynced at a shop. Again it ran great before I got on the freeway.

Thoughts?

Not trying to be a smart-a$$, but is the choke pushed in all the way? Next thing I'd do is pull the fuel tank and look at the throttle cable/carb linkage to make sure the throttle is closing all the way. A sticky or misrouted cable could do this...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Check and make sure all of the sync caps are still there and are intact and not cracked at the top. Kind of sounds like you could have developed an air leak during your ride home
      wingnut
      81 SH (Daily Ride)
      81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
      81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
      82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If your referring to the caps over the idle mix screws, there intent was to keep prying hands from doing any adjustments, nothing else cept they do help keep the crud out of the towers. Do the other checks suggested and as for the fuel gauge, first pull the seat and check that the sending unit is plugged in. That plug pretty much lays right where the front seat hook is attached to the frame.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Rubber CAPs

Moto I was refering to the rubber caps that fit over the ports you use to attach the sync stick or gages. On a bike that has any age these break down and crack creating an air leak. Also it only takes one back fire because the engine is cold or lean and they can get blown off the intake nipple. I understand the intent of the caps pressed into the idel mixture adjustment screw tunnels if they are even still there.
          wingnut
          81 SH (Daily Ride)
          81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Apology wingnut......re-read thread.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

No offence taken. So Jeff did you figure it out?
              wingnut
              81 SH (Daily Ride)
              81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'll pull the tank tommorrow. I greatly appreciater the pointers.

Thanks all

Comment

That is also a common symptom of very lean mixture.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I give. Can anyone point me to a knowlwedgable shop in western washington?

Comment

Before you give up, I'd say pull the carbs and make certain they are really clean. When I first got Banshee it did the same thing. Then I pulled the carbs and tore them down and cleaned and properly jetted them (PO had the jets all over the place).

The theory here is that the idle is set way up so it will idle when started. And sounds great until it gets warmed up and no longer needs the enrichment circuit. Then the idle setting is way to high.

So if you have not already, check the enrichment jets in the bowls arre cleaned properly. Then run it and get it good and warmed up, reset the idle adjustment. Next time you go to start it, see if it doesn't idle decent with the choke/enrichment full on.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

I'm in the same boat my self. Spent all day getting the wiring rigged just to get it to crank, went for a ride and discovered about forty foot from the stop sign I forgot to put the calipers back on Next thing you know I'm running about five grand at idle. Got the carbs off right now but got alot on my plate. Let us know what you find out!

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaJeepJeff View Post
                          I give. Can anyone point me to a knowlwedgable shop in western washington?
                          The only 'local shop' I know of with a decent rep is these guys: http://www.psmcycles.com/index.html
                          They're not cheap (what shop is these days?); expect to shell out $500+ for carb rebuilding/sync if you take the bike in. My personal dealings with them have been limited to a few parts, and I thought they were rather expensive.

As DGXSER said, check to make sure the carbs really are clean. Some owners will pull the float bowls, blow out any crud they see, then claim the carbs have been 'cleaned'. This won't do the job...

These carbs aren't as scary to go through as you might think, they're actually quite simple. For a good tutorial with pics, go here (and these are even the same type as yours)...http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...b+cleaning+101

I assume you're in Tacoma; I'm relatively close (Yelm), so if you need some help PM me...
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Fixed

I ran 2 tanks through with heavy carb cleaner. The rpms dropped back to where they belong.

Something is wrong, everything is working...

<Sound of knocking on wood>

I am in Tacoma, so I'd love to do a run here abouts sometime.

Jeff

Comment

Sounds like it was dirt, which often causes a lean condition.

Fortunately it sounds like the cleaner in the fuel may have fixed it. Make sure to always use stabil in the gas when sitting for anything more than a week or so, or even if your not putting gas in at least every week or so, otherwise the gas can go bad the clog things up.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X