Changing from square to round.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing from square to round.

I know some of you may not like this idea, but I want to change my lighting and gauges from square to round. I have an 80 standard XS1100 that i'm slowly trying to bring back to life and don't really care for the square look. What is the easiest way to go about doing this. What will fit on these bikes. This is my first project and I'm open to any suggestions.

The light and gauges from the specials fit right in.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I've not done it, but I am pretty sure if you want to change from square to round headlight, you also need to change out the "ears" or brackets as well.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

You'll lose your fuel guage too. With the sending unit from a Special tank, you can hook up the fuel warning light the round guages have. Yes, you'll need the headlight ears too, unless you are using an aftermarket round headlight.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I changed my 78 standard to round 79 special gauges, lights and tank. It took some time to get all the wires right, but I got it all to work.
          79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
          80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
          80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
          79 DT 100

Comment

The gauges are wired differently between the Special and the Standard. You'll have to either get a set of connectors and split up the wiring from the gauges to suit the loom, or make a set of adapter leads up to match up to the corresponding wiring.
            79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
            Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
            *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
            *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

You can source parts from any of the Specials, XS650 on up. The Special instrument cans are available new.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by SlimJim View Post
                What is the easiest way to go about doing this.
                Trade someone for a Special??
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Trade someone for a Special?
                  The standard has the advantage of sharing front brakes with the very popular XS650. This makes for a lot of front brake options with superior performance. Stock calipers and pistons can be purchased new.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Working...
                  X