Fuel tank conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank conversion

Probably has been asked 1,000 times before, but I couldn't find anything with the search feature. I would like to have more fuel capacity, and was wondering if there is a tank from past or present Yams that will fit the Special without too many mods? I know the Standard and Euro tanks were larger, but are there any other options? As always, I appreciate any input, and apologize ahead of time for asking something you guys have most likely answered before.

Richard
    Richard
    '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
    '02 Honda VTX1800C

The Standard tank is 24 litres and is pretty big, this one on my XS is from an XJR1200 and though it looks big is only 21 litres. I think you'll be hard pushed to find a tank bigger than the XS one.

Comment

how hard was it to get that xjr tank to fit? It looks nice, did you mod the tank at all?
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

The hardest bit was the fuel tap. The original XJR one fouled up on the XS carbs, so i used an FJ1200 one from a 3CV model, earlier FJ ones have wider mounting points.
        The top tank mounts are just some extra FJ tank rubbers that the tank grips tightly onto and the rear bolts are done away with in favour of some cable ties.
        If you look closely you can see the top frame tubes below the tank, which is a bit of a shame.
        Apart from all that the tank is unmodified.
        Some XS won't accept the XJR tank, i think the 1.1 Sport is the one, i'll find a link to MikeF's post on the UK forum for you.

Comment

Here's the link, but for some reason i can't see the photo in MikeF's post.
          http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/in...p?topic=2503.0

Weird, i can see it from this site.

Comment

The Venture tank for the XS1100 is 6.5 gallons. With the XS triple final drive mod my bike will go farther than my glutus will. 200 to 250 miles enough range? No modifications needed.
            The problem is finding a venture tank for sale. They do pop-up on Ebay occasionally. They are taller and wider than the standard tank and they have no emblems.
            Also do a search on here for auxillary fuel tanks. Some have mounted them in the trunk and behind the bike.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Pat- I guess I will search for a Venture tank, as 250 miles would be awesome. Went on a bike run last summer and was one of the only guys that had to stop in every damn town we came to. My father-in-law was patient with me though, seeing as how he used to own the Special. Love the look of my tank, but 3.5 gal just sucks, especially when you can't stop your wrist from twisting too far!
              Richard
              '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
              '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

As Pat stated, the Venturer(er) does have the largest tank of the XS/XJ series. They do have the Yamaha gold emblems on sides along with the decals which are the pearl white knee indentations and the gold pinstripe..........and yes, it has more capacity than I normally have butt to run it out. Usually without flipping petcocks to reserve can roll bout 180miles.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Okie, Be aware the Venturer has different bars to accomodate the taller tank. You may have to do something about as simple as an adjustment or risers. Has been done by others.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by XSive Okie View Post
                    Probably has been asked 1,000 times before, but I couldn't find anything with the search feature. I would like to have more fuel capacity, and was wondering if there is a tank from past or present Yams that will fit the Special without too many mods? I know the Standard and Euro tanks were larger, but are there any other options? As always, I appreciate any input, and apologize ahead of time for asking something you guys have most likely answered before.

Richard
                    Hi Richard,
                    here's my Special with it's Standard gas tank.
                    The Standard tank drops right on and is 4 litres bigger than the Special tank.
                    The Venturer tank is bigger yet but good luck finding one.

Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Rode to Florida from NJ back in 1993 with a bunch of others and had 3 pickups following us in case someone broke down.Had to watch my mileage as i had the smallest tank capacity in the group.We had 5, 5 gallon gas tanks and the one pickup had an additional fuel tank with a pump so i just would fill up from the pickup when we stopped.Would like a bigger tank though.
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      Inline fuel filters
                      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                      160 mph speedometer mod
                      Kerker Exhaust
                      xschop K & N air filter setup
                      Dynojet Recalibration kit
                      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

What year and model for XJR tank

I'm curious to know what was the year and model of the XJR tank ? I'm having a hard time finding a regular tank and your idea may be a good solution. Thanks

Comment

It was one of the early XJR1200 models from 1994 on. I don't know if the later 1300's fit as they changed the shape slightly.
                          Below is a picture from the day, I don't know why certain pictures of mine have gone.

Comment

Also forgot to say, when it's been so long there's a lot to forget, so here goes,
                            that front end is from an FJ1200 and if you use a standard XS1100 front end the top yoke will hit the tank if I remember right, because what I did with the FJ one was to add a spacer between the top bearing and the top yoke because the headstock tube is shorter on the XS than the FJ. There's always something to compensate for, and don't forget you can't use the XJR fuel tap because it will hit the top of the carbs on the XS, I used an FJ1200 tap as that sits virtually flush under the tank and then used a universal on/off fuel tap from that to the carbs. Problems problems. The rear tank mount doesn't line up, the side rubbers are just push fitted and held by friction, on and on and on and on..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz There's probably more. you will be.

Comment

Working...
                            X