Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know a good local bike shop in the San Diego area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know a good local bike shop in the San Diego area?

.. Not sure if there's a better place to post this or not, but since I have an XS11 I didn't think it would be too off topic

Anywho, I'm down here from WA. and my speedo cable decided it didn't want to play anymore. I do prefer to keep my business local, even if I'm not

Thanks in advance!
    '79 XS1100F
    '82 CB450SC -- For sale, runs great.

Sam, I sent you a PM....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Go to kon tiki in Pacific beach these guys are the best. But they are closed Sunday and Monday. If you go in first thing 10am they can usually have stuff that day
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Not yet recieved..? but thanks for the goodies, they've served me well!
        '79 XS1100F

Comment

I'll note that Sam bought this bike only a few weeks ago, gave it a quick going over, slapped some bags on it, then rode it from north of Seattle to San Diego...

Who says these bikes can't still do the job?

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            I'll note that Sam bought this bike only a few weeks ago, gave it a quick going over, slapped some bags on it, then rode it from north of Seattle to San Diego...
            That sounds like a fun ride! Glad you got a good runner!
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Sam,
              Give the speedo a squirt of Silicon Lube BEFORE you install a "new" cable. I've had the speedo's "freeze" and break cables. You can also go to ANY auto parts store and get a universal cable repair for a car speedo. this will work in the XS cable, if the housing is still good. Just cut to length, crimp the end on, and install!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                Sam,
                Give the speedo a squirt of Silicon Lube BEFORE you install a "new" cable. I've had the speedo's "freeze" and break cables. You can also go to ANY auto parts store and get a universal cable repair for a car speedo. this will work in the XS cable, if the housing is still good. Just cut to length, crimp the end on, and install!
                Awesome, I'll give that a try!

And for the others, its was a great trip! First long/out of state one for me, other than boot camp and such, and I had a blast. Bike held up fine. No issues at all other than I'm pretty sure I'll be replacing the clutch like I did with the other one. I also noticed that it doesn't seem to have any guts at all under 3k, is that normal?
                '79 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by sam6942 View Post
                  I also noticed that it doesn't seem to have any guts at all under 3k, is that normal?
                  Not at all... It should throw you off the back of the seat in 1st gear! Sounds like it needs a little attention, but nothing that's an emergency. Check carbs (cleanliness and sync) and compression. You might also check the spark plugs - did you replace them before your long ride? That would be a cheap thing to try while on the road.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

For the clutch, try replacing the springs FIRST. Most of the time, the 30 year old springs will not hold. $15 for a new set, re-adjust the clutch bottom to top, and you should be good to go.
                    Glad you had a good trip on down to San Diego! I hope you like to temps as compared to WA!
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG

Comment

I hope you like to temps as compared to WA!
                      It's been pretty nasty here; if it hasn't been raining, it's too cold, and if it's warm, it rains. Wind blew last night and knocked out power until this morning...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I know, my older sister live in Dupont, WA. Yesterday I tried to take the MNS out for a ride, but I washed it and it didn't want to run properly. So I parked it and rode the BMW. 58 to 65F on the coast in Santa Cruz.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG

Comment

I know, my older sister live in Dupont, WA. Yesterday I tried to take the MNS out for a ride, but I washed it and it didn't want to run properly. So I parked it and rode the BMW. 58 to 65F on the coast in Santa Cruz.
                          Mine did that too the last time i washed it. Would not idle and had to have the throttle at about 3500 to keep it running. Went away after about 20 min.
                          82 XJ1100
                          Regina,Saskatchewan,
                          Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                            Not at all... It should throw you off the back of the seat in 1st gear! Sounds like it needs a little attention, but nothing that's an emergency. Check carbs (cleanliness and sync) and compression. You might also check the spark plugs - did you replace them before your long ride? That would be a cheap thing to try while on the road.
                            Hmm.. Well, if one of the SD locals isn't busy this afternoon/evening maybe we could meet up and give it a go-over? I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but I don't know much about carbs and compression and such.. and I did check the plugs when I left and they didn't look horrible..

Oh, and has anyone heard of O.B. (Ocean Beach) Motorcycles? I just happened across them on my way to the Autozone to check for a cable repair kit. They said they'd order me a new cable for $10 and it'll be here tomorrow. They also have a Co-op thing going on, looking at their flyer it's a pretty good deal..
                            Last edited by sam6942; 01-17-2011, 04:26 PM.
                            '79 XS1100F

Comment

bike go over...

HI Sam, just read your post. I live in North S.DIego area and if you only need a speedo cable, get a new one from any Yamaha dealer or bike shop nearby. THere is Oceanside Motorcycles up in North County San Diego, or a couple of Yamaha dealers up here. Any of them can get you a cable in a day, or in stock. IF you need a carb synch, or place to work on your bike, I am here most of Saturday if you want to swing by, one of the other members here is Garthxs,,,he is in Mission Bay area and a good mechanic on these bikes. I am not sure where in S.Diego your are, as it is over a hundred miles in length. Anyway, holler if you need some help. I am no expert but have done the basic stuff on the carbs, synching, etc.........these bikes run good even if not perfect as you found out..................Mike in Valley Center, San DIego
                              mike
                              1982 xj1100 maxim
                              1981 venture bagger
                              1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                              1959 wife

Comment

Working...
                              X