Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEED HELP REBUILDING 1980 XS1100 Special!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP REBUILDING 1980 XS1100 Special!

ok... few questions.

1. can someone please link me to an air cap/bolt that is compatible with my fork tubes? somehow i stripped one of them when I removed it.. and it's not the fork, because the other bolt fits appropriately in both forks.. cannot find a proper air cap

2. for obvious reasons, I've decided to get crash bars this time. What crash bars will fit my XS1100 SG? I can't find ANY that are certain to fit the XS1100 SG.

3. Will a 1980 XS850 round headlight fit in place of the normal XS11SG headlight? It looks identical, and the lister said it was 7" in diameter.. I already ordered it because I looked at several pictures and saw no difference, and this is the only one I could find in good shape on ebay..

4. I need a new left brake caliper.. any suggestions? What other make/models share compatible brake calipers with my bike?

please, PLEASE help... thanks in advance..

Where are you located? MikesXS has headlight assemblies but yes a 850xs will fit fine also.

If you post your location you might have good results locating what you are locing for . Andreas, a member here is also reliable when it comes to needing parts . If he can't help send me a message for what you need . I'm in Canada Andreas can ship from the States so he might have better shipping cost's.
    Last edited by Ken Talbot; 01-16-2011, 09:23 PM.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

As tinman mentioned, the XS850 headlight will fit the 1100 Specials. I just stole old parts from my 1100 to repair the headlight on my 850.

You will not find NEW crash bars to fit the XS. That's one of those things you just keep a watchful eye on ebay and this forum to find. I looked for a year and finally caught a good deal on a 3-point set. Remember that the 2-point sets really do more harm than good in the event of a crash, as they will fold back and crush the engine case.

All the 1100 Specials (with the exception of the LH) use the same front calipers. A quick search on ebay will likely bring up a few. Be aware that used calipers MAY need to be rebuilt, but you can get rebuild kits from several locations too, and prices are fairly reasonable.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

i'm in Charlotte, North Carolina.. these are what i need:

1.) crash guards. Don't care how fancy they are, just need something to sustain the impact should I fall again.
        2.) fork cap (just one).
        3.) left/front brake caliper. (current brake caliper's bolt is stuck; can't get the brakes out because the damn thing seems like it's WELDED in there).

once again, they're all for a 1980 XS1100 Special. if they're from a different bike but are compatible, that's fine. color doesn't really matter, I'm just trying to get this thing back on the road.

Oh, and I've another question: I found an Air Boost Kit for my bike.. does this thing require the caps I have now, or does it come with replacements? The picture shows what seem to be another set of air caps, but I just want to be sure they are covers or something.. if I can get this thing and not worry about looking for the original air caps, PLEASE let me know..

edit: THANK YOU both for responding so quickly

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          As tinman mentioned, the XS850 headlight will fit the 1100 Specials. I just stole old parts from my 1100 to repair the headlight on my 850.

You will not find NEW crash bars to fit the XS. That's one of those things you just keep a watchful eye on ebay and this forum to find. I looked for a year and finally caught a good deal on a 3-point set. Remember that the 2-point sets really do more harm than good in the event of a crash, as they will fold back and crush the engine case.

All the 1100 Specials (with the exception of the LH) use the same front calipers. A quick search on ebay will likely bring up a few. Be aware that used calipers MAY need to be rebuilt, but you can get rebuild kits from several locations too, and prices are fairly reasonable.
          so do all XS bars fit the same? Can I order this pair of '79 standard bars and use them on my bike?

Comment

Standard bars work fine on a SG . I have put a couple of sets on and prefer them over the Special bars. Give Andrea a shut he might be able to help you out with calipers.
            BDF Special
            80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
            Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by jshepard935 View Post
              so do all XS bars fit the same? Can I order this pair of '79 standard bars and use them on my bike?
              Personally, I would NOT use Standard bars on a Special. The front Master Cylinder on the Special is angled specifically to fit the curve of the Special bars. If you try to mount the master to Standard bars, it will not mount flat. However, I know that many have done it without issue.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

okay.. thanks guys..

but what about the air cap? am I going to have to buy another set of forks in order get another air cap?

Comment

A quick search for part number 3H3-23111-00-00 turned up a supplier here, selling them for $27.59.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

A quick search for part number 3H3-23111-00-00 turned up a supplier here, selling them for $27.59.
                    thank you very, very much sir

bookmarked that link..

Comment

just with ur air cap,
                      when u remove or put back on,
                      loosen the upper tripple tree bolt underneath,
                      makes life so much easier.
                      pete

new owner of
                      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                      zrx carbs
                      18mm float height
                      145 main jets
                      38 pilots
                      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Personally, I would NOT use Standard bars on a Special. The front Master Cylinder on the Special is angled specifically to fit the curve of the Special bars. If you try to mount the master to Standard bars, it will not mount flat. However, I know that many have done it without issue.
                        I think he may have been still talking about crash bars. If your talking about crash bars then any year/model xs or XJ 1100 crash bars will fit.

If you are talking about handlebars the CBug is correct.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

i'm in Charlotte, North Carolina.. these are what i need:

1.) crash guards. Don't care how fancy they are, just need something to sustain the impact should I fall again.
                          You can find used ones, but to be honest with you, none of the factory two point mounting bars meet your requirement of sustaining the impact. They bend like a rubber pencil on the weakest impacts. If you can find the three point mounted ones, they are substantially better.

2.) fork cap (just one).
                          Best option is to post on here in parts wanted. Someone probably has one they will sell reasonable. Another option to look into is Progressive springs. Almost every one who upgrades to the progressive springs, does not use air in the forks anymore. So you could simply put a regular bolt in the hole and call it done, and get better suspension while your at it.

3.) left/front brake caliper. (current brake caliper's bolt is stuck; can't get the brakes out because the damn thing seems like it's WELDED in there).
                          Since you have the SG, I believe your only option is another XS1100 Special front left brake caliper. If it were me, I'd use every method you can think of to try and get that bolt out. Soak it in PB Blaster or Liquid wrench for a few days, then with it mounted to the fork, use the correct sized 6 point socket and a nice long cheater bar to turn that puppy one way or another. Worse case is you ruin it, and your back to buying a replacement. Most likely, you will get it loose.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

left/front brake caliper

Soak it with penetrating oil.
                            A little heat and the nut should come off pretty easy.
                            Same for the bolt. Aluminum will expand enough with heat to remove most any steel bolt stuck in it.

BTW, to much heat and the aluminum will melt without any warning.
                            It does not “glow” like steel, just makes a puddle below the part your heating.

Comment

Agreed that heat will help. also get some parafin wax (its used in canning foods, find it at the.grocery store) and heat the part and put don wax on it, cool, heat and then try and get the bolt out.

also if you do look for a new caliper make sure its the same left front caliper. you news the bleed hole on top, the right ones would put the bleeder on the bottom.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X