Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Does anyone know of a competent and trustworthy person in southern Florida who is able to restore a XS1100?

I say the same thing here as when you posted this on the members lounge. You can do it yourself. This is an easy bike to work on and a good learning tool! Anything that might be a problems someone here can help you through it, or maybe someone in your area could lend a hand. If you want someone elae to do it your going to be looking at minimum probably 3-5 grand anywhere up to 20 grand depending on what you want, and that's if you can find someone who knows what they are doing.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Good point, We are trying to keep naked boy under $500 by he time we are done, and spray paints, sand paper, aceone, shrink tube etc, add up quick, and not to mention things like baterry, tires,and other big ticket items.
      Then if you figured our time per hour spent on sanding,blasting, polishing and painting a $20 bucks per hour (more then likely $40 for shop time) the we are easliy at the 2K mark) But hey trailer it up to NC drop off 5K and come get it in a month when I'm done.

Comment

I'll expand a bit on my prior answer...

First, you really need to define 'restore'. But for this, let's assume you mean 'back to showroom condition'.

Next, what are you starting with? If you have a stock, original bike that sat covered in the back corner of somebody's garage for years but only needs a thorough cleaning to bring back the cosmetics, then all it may need is a fuel and brake systems cleaning/rebuild, along with fluid changes, new tires and battery. If this is the case, figure roughly $500 for the carbs, and that much again for the rest, if not more. But as Nate said, finding somebody competent to work on these bikes these days isn't easy at all. The percentage of owners here who did just that (paid $500+ for repairs) and ended up redoing most if not all of the work has been distressingly high. Keep in mind that all of this can be done at home in 3-4 weekends for 1/3 the money if you have moderate mechanical skills.

Or are you starting with a bike that sat unprotected from the elements and it's dominant colors are now rust and oxidized aluminum? Well, even if you DIY, you'll still be shelling out a lot of money. Redoing paint and plating back to OEM quality won't be cheap, and some replacement parts are all-but-impossible to find (i.e. BIG $$$). Far cheaper to just buy a already-running nice example.

If you have a bike that has sentimental value, well, you'll have to decide what that's worth to you.

If we saw what you were starting with (pics), your hoped-for goal, and your budget, any advice could be much better targeted...
        Last edited by crazy steve; 01-16-2011, 01:06 PM.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I agree, It's going to depend largely on what your starting with and what you want it to end up looking like.

Pics would be helpfull
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

fla help

if you still need some questions answered i order parts from Hard parts and the person goes by georgeFix...he is located in New Smyrna beach, FL.32168 and he might be familiar with your area...good luck and welcome
            windjammer gump
            bikes now own
            1981xs1100sh special
            1971 cb 350
            mini chopper project
            bikes use to own
            1978 750/four..
            1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

Working...
            X