Question for engine gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for engine gurus

I ran across the "roll on wheelie"thred by Big Red.He reported that after replacing the stock valves with polished stainless ones from OMP he noticed a substantial increase in power.Could someone explain how changing the material the vales are made of increases performance. Thanx Terry
    1980 special (Phyllis)
    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Maybe just a comparison of the 'after rebuild' performance to the 'just before rebuild' performance? If you freshen up a motor with a properly done top-end rebuild, it should be much better then just before you rebuilt it. I think it would be a bit tough to compare the 'after rebuild' performance to the performance it would have had when brand new.

JAT...
    Ken Talbot

Comment

The material a valve is made of wouldn't have any effect on performace, but if you changed the shape of the valve, you could see a increase...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

the angle of the valve face can
        affect flow which can improve performance.

also on the older valves could have carbon build up
        from leaking valve seals
        which again would also affect flow.
        Last edited by petejw; 01-16-2011, 12:20 AM.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Glad to hear from you Pete.I was afraid you may have been swept away by the flood waters over there.I hope you're doing well. Terry
          1980 special (Phyllis)
          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

all good here Terry, im in a different state,
            no where near me thankfully, cheers.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Me and Tony think the OMP valves show increased bottom end performance because they are not only stainless, but they are polished, very smooth. Compared to a new "stock" type valve which has a rougher, mill finish, non-polished surface, it must flow more air at the lower velocities. As rpm increases, the effect diminishes, but it is noticeable on the low end (i.e.) roll on wheelies. Worked for me.
              1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Installing new valves that would also involve re-seating them or at least cleaning everything up and lapping them in would increase performance. The same effect can be obtained by doing this with the stock valves. An even bigger increase can be obtained if new rings are involved with a rebuild.
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I would agree that the effect being noticed here is the sealing of the new valve faces, the clean valve surfaces and cleaned up mating surfaces.

While it is true the smoother surface will offer less drag to the air flowing across it, I would bet if you dyno an engine with the stock valves cleaned up and the new valves you would see very very marginal differences. So small that it might show in tenths off a 1/4 mile run, but nothing you can physically feel in normal street riding, even street ripping (would not want to call it racing, the po-po frown on that.)
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

I cannot see how just the change in material would affect the low end significantly but who knows? Any real increase in performance might be part due to everything being put back in a more fresh condition and maybe partly to the shape of the valve between the seat and the stem of the valve. Even slight changes in the shape of the of the valve there can affect performance so if the new valves are not exactly the same shape everywhere as the OEM valves then they may act differently.

Case in point, the valve seating surface is at 45 degrees from the stem and the stock seat contact area should be about .045" thick (the grey part seen on the valve after you lightly lap it). My stock valves have had a 30 degree back cut done on them and in conjunction with that being made on the valve, the seat contact area was changed to about .035". This small machining function can give an increase in 'gas passed' by the valve of up to 10% mostly in the mid-higher RPM range. And yes, you can feel it, but not on the low end.

All valve measurements being the same, the SS valves would affect the top end more significantly since they are probably a bit lighter than the stock steel valves. Kinetic energy and all that stuff. But, I am sure the better performance does exist with the new SS valves. After all, they are newer technology over the 30+ year old valves most of us are using.

In any event, if you feel it and it feels good, it is worth the effort.
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Thanx Mike I like your explanation.I think you just talked me into ordering a set. Terry
                      1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Working...
                      X