No announcement yet.

Fork disassembly help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put progressive springs in my forks. That's why I took the caps off. I used the actual Progressive brand and these are made in the USA. I found a pair here in the UK, listed on eBay with only a code number and no idea as to what bike they were for. I checked on Progressive's website and found that the code was for the XS1100. I didn't need any adapters or spacers or anything (some other Japanese bikes do but not the XS1100E and F).

The bike was instantly higher at the front end (because the OEM springs had compressed) and it immediately looked different. The ride seems less bumpy on certain types of bumps and generally an improvement. The bike is also sitting higher, of course.

I think if you are going to the trouble of replacing the springs, you may as well put progressive ones in as they are a more modern concept than the OEM ones.......
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Looking at the Haynes manual for the XS1100, the spring lengths on the US air fork bikes are:

SF 24.10"
      G 20.31"
      SG 24.10"

The US (and the UK) E and F models did not have air suspension at all.

By the way, someone commented on teh good drawing you posted. A good sourec of exploded diagrams is available on:

www.cmsnl.com
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
        Looking at the Haynes manual for the XS1100, the spring lengths on the US air fork bikes are:

SF 24.10"
        G 20.31"
        SG 24.10"

James - Thanks for the information. Would you mind taking just a few minutes to double check those numbers, particularly that for a G with an air fork the length should be 20.31" minimum?

The reason that I'm asking is that the "other" manual - retrieved from CatatonicBug's web site (not sure the original source of this scan) lists that for all models, the air fork springs should be replaced if less than 24.10", and non-air fork springs at 19.82".

Thanks.
        John (XSive_Speed)

'80 XS1100G Standard
        - 4 - 1 exhaust (probably Mac)
        - UNI air filter

Comment

Originally posted by XSive_speed View Post
          James - Thanks for the information. Would you mind taking just a few minutes to double check those numbers, particularly that for a G with an air fork the length should be 20.31" minimum?

The reason that I'm asking is that the "other" manual - retrieved from CatatonicBug's web site (not sure the original source of this scan) lists that for all models, the air fork springs should be replaced if less than 24.10", and non-air fork springs at 19.82".

Thanks.
          You're welcome. In the Haynes manual, the air assisted G spring should be 20.31". It's the SG model that should be 24.10"

I'll post scan of the page in a minute....
          Last edited by James England; 01-17-2011, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Here's a scan of the page from my Haynes manual:

Comment

That's great news. I was wondering how to fit four more inches of spring into those fork tubes. Additionally, I now get to take the money for new springs and put in back in my pocket (or divert it to another XS related fix)

Now I can reassemble my front end, and get the XS out of traction.

Thanks
              John (XSive_Speed)

'80 XS1100G Standard
              - UNI air filter

Comment

Originally posted by XSive_speed View Post
                That's great news. I was wondering how to fit four more inches of spring into those fork tubes. Additionally, I now get to take the money for new springs and put in back in my pocket (or divert it to another XS related fix)
                Yeah, the air forks and non-air forks for the standards are the same length in both cases, the difference in length is actually between standard and special AFAIK. The standard air forks also don't have the bushings in the lower (or is it the upper) fork tubes, and while I've heard of someone swapping in either special upper tubes into standard lower tubes (or the other way around) it's normally a swap that is likely to cause the forks to bind. The specials have the bushings because part of the installation process with the brakes is to actually move the forks in and out in relation to each other to center the disks in the calipers, and the calipers as I understand it don't move on the special like the standard ones do.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

james,
                  thanx for posting that,
                  interesting how they state 10/30 weight oil for the uk models
                  and 10 weight/atf for the us bikes.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I stripped my forks last night in order to put some NOS sliders on. One of the allen bolts that hold the damper assemblies to the slider very obligingly came undone straight away. The one one just spun round and round with the damper assembly inside the slider. I ransacked my drawer of nuts and bolts and couldn't find one of the right size to hold the damper assembly as per previous posts. So I took a broom handle and used a wood chisel to cut a few very inaccurate bevels on the end of it, pushed it onto the damper assembly and it worked straight away... teh allane bolt came undone. I gripped the slider firmly and just leaned on the broom handle whilst turning the allen key..........

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                      james,
                      thanx for posting that,
                      interesting how they state 10/30 weight oil for the uk models
                      and 10 weight/atf for the us bikes.
                      Yes, I've always wondered about that. Your forks are all air-assisted though, I believe? ATF is pretty thin stuff, so I wonder if it would damp effectively in the UK non-air-assisted forks?

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                        Yes, I've always wondered about that. Your forks are all air-assisted though, I believe? ATF is pretty thin stuff, so I wonder if it would damp effectively in the UK non-air-assisted forks?
                        lots of people seem to use atf. I have it in my non air forks and it seems to be fine.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                          lots of people seem to use atf. I have it in my non air forks and it seems to be fine.
                          Thanks for mentioning that. I think I'll use it mine this time and see how it feels..... it's a lighter substance than 10/30 which is pretty thick in cold weather..........

Comment

And even if ya don't like, its not terribly difficult to drain it and put something else in.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

ATF would certainly be less expensive than the $20.00 that the local MC shop charged me for a quart of 10W fork oil.

I agree - next time it will be ATF in my forks. Most of the ATF that I've seen has been around 10W, but that's just a guess. I seem to recall that they don't often list it very clearly on the bottle.
                              John (XSive_Speed)

'80 XS1100G Standard
                              - UNI air filter

Comment

Working...
                              X