No announcement yet.

oil in number one cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For an off position take the little chrome faceplate off the petcocks and grinder off the little tab at the top, you may need to file down the petcocks selector handle a hair, I had to take a little off one of mine. Then when the handle is in the up position the petcocks are off.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If you have only cleaned them, especially if you have the older style with brass floats and metal on metal float needles, then you will no doubt have problems with them leaking. I recommend an "upgrade" to change out the metal tipped float needle valves to the viton tipped ones made for the XV920. Much more durable and positive seal.

As to the petcocks, on the standards, I have read more than a couple folks here having issues with the rebuild kits that the plunger length on the new ones was ever so very slightly shorter than the originals and it caused them leaks to no end. I've not yet owned a Standard, but if/when I do, I would definitely do the modification to give it a positive shutoff.

A leaking petcock, combined with those metal tipped float needle valves seems to be a common problem of wet air box syndrome. The amount of fuel it takes to get the plugs wet on a running engine is more than I would believe to be caused from your needles being a step to high. I've always put the floats at stock setting and never had problems with it. But all my bikes use a stockish 4-2 exhaust and the air box. A factory air box with factory or even a decent aftermarket 4-2 exhaust should run fine on stock set carbs.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

ok guys.

you all have a good source for just the viton tipped valve needles? i found the po' boy kits on georgefix's ebay but its 30$for 4 on top of 60$ for 4 rebuild kits - ouch! but i guess if all this works its a small price for peace of mind this summer.

a bigger question is - where can i find replacement screws for my petcock cover plate? i hope the answer isnt in another petcock. one vibrated out a long time ago and ive used electrical tape since to keep pressure on there (which might be another culprit in this). im excited about this petcock mod, but i need to track down a screw first...

Comment

Contact Georgefix and ask him to just swap out/in the pieces you want and then get a price. From what I hear he Is willing to do things like that.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

And the screw. Did you try any hardware stores? Most likely a mom and POP ace style store would have one.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

BTW, the screw for the petcock plate is a 3mm thread
              Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

I have bought several rebuild kits from Georgefix. Including getting the XV920 needle valve and seats from him. Just send him a message on ebay and tell him what year, make, model bike you have (or the year of the carbs if different, which happens more than you might think) and then tell him you want the XV920 needle valves and seats instead of the stock. He will quote you a price for the full setup as you want it.

He ships pretty quick, and I have had one issue come up with a part he sent me, took a couple emails and he took care of it quick and fairly. Great person to do business with.

As to the screw, take the other one with you to a real hardware store (as in not Home Depot or Lowes, but an ACE or True Value, or other local small shop with ten times the hardware selection of the big boys) and they will easily match it up for you.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

no viton tips!

i contacted georgefix, and he says that they no longer make the viton tipped needles...which is a big bummer. are there other models with the viton tips that would fit the 78E?i guess i will just go ahead and use the standard metal needle right now. hopefully the new ones will seal good and the petcock mod will make sure there is no leakage. i will be back with updates once i rebuild.

Comment

Check Z1Enterprises. They had them as well.

Look Here

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

thanks, DGXSER. Im going to order those.

When I do my compression check, does the oil level need to be correct? I have a leak out of my oil filter (which im going to address), but Im sure I have lost a good bit of my oil. I wasnt sure if this would affect the sealing for the test.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

IF you get enough oil to turn off the oil light after it cranks for a bit, should be plenty to run the compression check. I doubt it leaked enough to lose oil pressure, not that the engine runs long enough to really coat things while you crank for compression check anyway.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                        X